i am curious

ejtrout31

Crowing
Aug 13, 2018
Deer River Minnesota
Hi I am working on remodeling my chicken coop I plan on making plans over the winter come spring I plan on getting show quaility chickens and quail. I will turn a pen then has a metal roof a foot and 1/2 wood siding about 6 foot wire. I am going to put rabbit hutches in here for my quail this pen is in the middle of my chicken coop though. I heard there is a diease that chickens can give quail.
So here are my ?

1. What is the diese called

2. Is there any thing that can prevent it

3. Do quail Cary anything that can affect chickens

4. I know I am getting coturnix quail but I want other breeds that will be good for my location they will be housed separately.

5. I have coturnix but with other breeds what are things I will need that coturnix don’t.

6. Any ways you House you quail

7 anything else

I don’t know if this will help but pigeons give chickens canker. My family is trying to get rid of the pigeon population because my chickens have had it many times (I’ve treated successfully with oregano oil). I do not know if quail will give chickens the same thing. I know this isn’t chicken to quail disease but I thought I’d throw that out there! :)

I don’t know if this will help but pigeons give chickens canker. My family is trying to get rid of the pigeon population because my chickens have had it many times (I’ve treated successfully with oregano oil). I do not know if quail will give chickens the same thing. I know this isn’t chicken to quail disease but I thought I’d throw that out there! :)
Thank you I will look into it I just am not sure what to be even looking for

Thank you I will look into it I just am not sure what to be even looking for
Canker shows up as cheesy yellow patches in the mouth. Quite similar looking to human canker. It can spread down to the respiratory system and kill the bird. If I find a bird has it, I check every bird. I have always caught it extremely early. It’s important to be in tune with your flock!

There are multiple diseases that chickens can give to game birds, including quail. This often happens because the quail were raised in an area where they aren't used to diseases that chickens often carry, while the chickens can carry many diseases while being unaffected. To prevent this, get quail that were raised near chickens, or eggs from quail that were raised near chickens. Quail do not generally carry a disease that they are immune to that can affect chickens- just avoid getting quail that are already sick.

Or you could put the rabbit hutches elsewhere and read up on biosecurity to avoid moving germs from the chickens to the quail.

Bobwhite quail are another type of quail. They need large enclosures, like aviaries, though. Button quail are yet another type, but need to be housed indoors. If you want to keep quail outdoors in rabbit hutches, get coturnix.

Coryza is your biggest concern as chickens are often carriers without showing any symptoms, and even if you treat your quail and they recover they will be lifelong carriers of the disease, passing it on to any new quail that you get. Chickens have been domesticated longer than game birds of any sort, so they have built up a tolerance to many diseases that are deadly to game birds. Diseases can even be transferred on you as you go from pen to pen so it's important to be careful between the two species. Wild birds can also pass on diseases.

Button quail and Bobwhites generally do best as pairs only unless you have a large enclosure (ie. aviary type enclosure) for them. Both can be extremely aggressive during the breeding season (or even if they don't like each other). I can get my Buttons to live as a group for awhile, but then one will start making trouble and require me to split them up into pairs, or into a boys cage and a girls cage. Coturnix are definitely much more docile than any other quail (having been domesticated the longest and bred to live in close quarters).

Back
Top Bottom