I Am Disappointed in MY BUFF O!

My BO is usually fairly docile but ever since she started laying last month she's gotten a little crabby streak. She's gone after me with her feet a couple times when I'm petting my other hen and she's bitten me a few times, once even drawing blood. I've noticed she's worse right around laying time so I try to give her some space after she's laid an egg.

I only have one Buff Orp...the rest turned out to be roos. This little hen is the bottom of the pecking order in our coop and she's very skittish and shy. She won't let us within 5 feet of her! I don't blame her, she gets picked on pretty badly and I think she's just afraid we'll pick on her too, like all the chickens do.

i havent had any probs with my 3 girls, they are so sweet. they love to be held and perch on my shoulder. mine do tricks. i have never had a rir, but i would change my girls for everything. it maybe a fluke on the eggs though. i cant wait until mine start to lay.

my secret is for bo is spend a LOT of time with them as babies and treat them like a very loved pet (which mine are). i taught them jump up which they do and they jump for particular treats. and they taught themselves to get down and poo if they are on my lap or shoulder. and i talk chicken to them (funny i know) but it works.they learned to perch on my fingers when they were little. they are just the sweetest little girls around. and all the research that i have done they are one of the smartest breed of chickens. they learn commands and they remember them, and if you have a small dirt spot on yourself they will clean mamma off, i taught them that and they still do, they are 5 mon old now and they act like guard chickens (its funny) since they are penned.

Back
Top Bottom