I Am Disappointed in MY BUFF O!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mtnhomechick, Aug 22, 2008.

1. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    I had heard that BO's were friendly and big egg layers. My Buff is the only one who won't come to me. She is very flighty and lays a super small light brown egg.

Is this just a fluke?

My friendliest is my RIR who I heard were not so friendly.

Anyone have the same experience with this breed?

2. mahsmaj

mahsmaj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Hannibal, Missouri
    Yeah... My buff orpington roo s mean and my rir pullet is the friendliest little thing in the world. She even lets me hold and pet her!

3. Montana-Hens

Montana-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2008
    Buxton, Montana
    No BO problems>

I have the skittish, not nice Barred Plymouth Rock.

She is much more unfriendly than my Chantecler who at least tollerates touch.

I guess there is always one screwball in the breed and it sounds like you and I have them.

4. Suess hens

Suess hens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Altadena, CA
    I don't know about buffs, but my RIR roo lets me pick him up and carry him around. My neighbors laugh at him.

5. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    Funny.......My BR was the friendliest of all........BUT...he was a Roo. Gave him away for peace and quiet. My frienliest beside the RIR believe it or not is my California Whites. They are constantly flying on my shoulder. Red Stars like to be held too. I guess Buffy is just a " BATCH", LOL.

6. jackiedon

jackiedon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Central Arkansas
    My BO's won't let me hold them and they started out with very small tan eggs. The eggs have started to get larger and darker. they were laying in their next box just fine. Now they either are not laying or laying somewhere else and I can't find then.

jackie

7. krjwaj

krjwaj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Apex, NC
    Our BO is very docile but doesn't line up to be held, that's for sure.

8. Indiana Gallina's

Indiana Gallina's Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2008
    Muncie, IN
    I have 9 BO Hens and they all love to be held. They follow me everywhere when i go outside.

9. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Our buffs are only about 3 weeks old and very docile, but they definitely don't like to be held for long. My EE Luna (whom I believe to be a roo) on the other hand... lap chicken. [​IMG]

10. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    My roo cochin is by FAR the friendliest one out of my clan...then my EE who jumps on my back every single time I bend over to pet the others. lol My barred rock used to be the friendliest but now she just isn't. She isn't mean but she just would rather not come by me much anymore [​IMG] My little buff orp likes to peck me yet. She's getting better tho...although she isn't really a PURE buff orp since she is sporting those yellow legs...prob why she isn't as friendly as the others I read about?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by