I am ditching the heat plate

I will be ditching the heat plate (actually I have two, let me know if you’d like to buy one, I’ll be happy to send them - or pick up, I am in Sonoma County) for a plain old red heat lamp… I find the lamp is easier to use, allows chicks more freedom to find the right warm spot for them without crowding, it’s easier to adjust, and I like being able to monitor them, not having them hidden under the plate all the time. I have had chicks under red heat lamps, dark reptile heat emitters, and the heat plate and don’t really see much difference in terms of any one group being more comfortable than another or developing differently.
The clincher was this latest batch of chicks I just brought home yesterday from a local breeder about an hour away. Dipped beaks, shepherded them under the plate (which had been on full for four hours) and that’s where they stayed. No interest in food or water. When I took them out from under there, they started chirping within a minute and went back under. Called breeder - she thought they were cold. Heat plate was hot and definitely low enough, but the rest of the brooder was indeed on the cool side (maybe 64) and they just couldn’t get warm enough with just the heat plate to be comfortable exploring the rest of their space. So I dug out my old 250W lamp and they perked up within 10 minutes.
Maybe a heat lamp is a bit more like a warming mama hen, but there are so many things that are different when keeping chicks in a brooder, I don’t think it matters. The lamp works much better for me. I have a 175W ready to swap when they get a bit bigger.
And no need to clean a pooped on heat plate top anymot

What you are saying is true but The heat pad is safer so please make sure to place the heat lamp carefully so it won’t fall and make a fire,other than that I support your opinion:)
I always put a metal grate (actually a single panel of a disassembled precision pet xpen - those things are worth their weight in gold) on top of the brooder, the heatlamp goes on top of that so there is no way it could fall into the bedding. The lamp also has a protective cage. And I check several times a day to make sure it is secure. Plus I switch to a125w after the first week or so, which doesn’t get quite as hot. So it’s pretty safe. The heatplate actually had me more worried as they state it needs to be at least 3” above the bedding and there is no way to make that work for tiny newly hatched chicks, plus they could always kick up the shavings so they could touch the underside of the plate… When I called them they basically told that that is how they cover their behinds, but that I should do what works for the chicks wink wink. I didn’t like that at all.

I always put a metal grate (actually a single panel of a disassembled precision pet xpen - those things are worth their weight in gold) on top of the brooder, the heatlamp goes on top of that so there is no way it could fall into the bedding. The lamp also has a protective cage. And I check several times a day to make sure it is secure. Plus I switch to a125w after the first week or so, which doesn’t get quite as hot. So it’s pretty safe. The heatplate actually had me more worried as they state it needs to be at least 3” above the bedding and there is no way to make that work for tiny newly hatched chicks, plus they could always kick up the shavings so they could touch the underside of the plate… When I called them they basically told that that is how they cover their behinds, but that I should do what works for the chicks wink wink. I didn’t like that at all.
I can really tell you care about your cute chicks,good job keeping them and yourself safe from fire:)

That makes sense. I get my chicks in the summer so it’s not very cold, & brood in my mud room. Love the plate and knowing there’s no fire hazard in my house. Also added a tiny string of white Christmas lights in the room. They got used to day and night when the Sun went down, but had enough light to find food, water, & the plate. They were off heat about 3.5 weeks (on their own, started sleeping outside the plate), fully feathered at 4 weeks, and moved outside shortly after. Not trying to sway you, just posting for those that are undecided! Everyone has to do what works for them!
I did my first chicks with a lamp, got a heating plate for the second. I have to say, I really liked the plate better. It was in June, so it was warmer in the house to begin with, and I put the brooder in the mudroom, near a window. They learned the day/night cycle from the beginning.

The first couple nights, I had a small nightlight on and double checked them to be sure they were ok. (Then checked again, and again, because, cute chicks, ya know?)

They did just fine both ways, but I prefer the plate. No fire danger, and no $40 extra on my electric bill. But yeah, cleaning the top of the plate... it was icky.

I will be ditching the heat plate (actually I have two, let me know if you’d like to buy one, I’ll be happy to send them - or pick up, I am in Sonoma County) for a plain old red heat lamp… I find the lamp is easier to use, allows chicks more freedom to find the right warm spot for them without crowding, it’s easier to adjust, and I like being able to monitor them, not having them hidden under the plate all the time. I have had chicks under red heat lamps, dark reptile heat emitters, and the heat plate and don’t really see much difference in terms of any one group being more comfortable than another or developing differently.
The clincher was this latest batch of chicks I just brought home yesterday from a local breeder about an hour away. Dipped beaks, shepherded them under the plate (which had been on full for four hours) and that’s where they stayed. No interest in food or water. When I took them out from under there, they started chirping within a minute and went back under. Called breeder - she thought they were cold. Heat plate was hot and definitely low enough, but the rest of the brooder was indeed on the cool side (maybe 64) and they just couldn’t get warm enough with just the heat plate to be comfortable exploring the rest of their space. So I dug out my old 250W lamp and they perked up within 10 minutes.
Maybe a heat lamp is a bit more like a warming mama hen, but there are so many things that are different when keeping chicks in a brooder, I don’t think it matters. The lamp works much better for me. I have a 175W ready to swap when they get a bit bigger.
And no need to clean a pooped on heat plate top anymore! Yay!
How much do you want for your plate if you haven't sold yet?

I still have it! How about $30 for the heater plus the no-perch top, plus shipping? New they heater is $55 and the top $21. It’s the “small” size, 12”x12”. I also have a “sweeter heater” - this one hangs instead of sitting on feet. It’s a bit bigger.

The rent a coop one has a cone to prevent roosting. I thought it was a waste but I’m so glad I splurged! Someone else I read somewhere on here used an old kitchen towel secured on top of their flat plate top and just changed it daily.
I have the cone too! I also bought the feathers you can hang around the outside and my chicks love it. I think that may help keep the warmth inside under the plate more. I figured it needed to be raised when they all started sleeping outside the plate area 😆 I like the plate because I HATE heat and those red bulbs make me drip with sweat 😆 To each their own though, I totally get both ways!

Back
Top Bottom