I am ditching the heat plate

Stephine

Crowing
7 Years
May 30, 2016
Sonoma
I will be ditching the heat plate (actually I have two, let me know if you’d like to buy one, I’ll be happy to send them - or pick up, I am in Sonoma County) for a plain old red heat lamp… I find the lamp is easier to use, allows chicks more freedom to find the right warm spot for them without crowding, it’s easier to adjust, and I like being able to monitor them, not having them hidden under the plate all the time. I have had chicks under red heat lamps, dark reptile heat emitters, and the heat plate and don’t really see much difference in terms of any one group being more comfortable than another or developing differently.
The clincher was this latest batch of chicks I just brought home yesterday from a local breeder about an hour away. Dipped beaks, shepherded them under the plate (which had been on full for four hours) and that’s where they stayed. No interest in food or water. When I took them out from under there, they started chirping within a minute and went back under. Called breeder - she thought they were cold. Heat plate was hot and definitely low enough, but the rest of the brooder was indeed on the cool side (maybe 64) and they just couldn’t get warm enough with just the heat plate to be comfortable exploring the rest of their space. So I dug out my old 250W lamp and they perked up within 10 minutes.
Maybe a heat lamp is a bit more like a warming mama hen, but there are so many things that are different when keeping chicks in a brooder, I don’t think it matters. The lamp works much better for me. I have a 175W ready to swap when they get a bit bigger.
And no need to clean a pooped on heat plate top anymore! Yay!

I will be ditching the heat plate (actually I have two, let me know if you’d like to buy one, I’ll be happy to send them - or pick up, I am in Sonoma County) for a plain old red heat lamp… I find the lamp is easier to use, allows chicks more freedom to find the right warm spot for them without crowding, it’s easier to adjust, and I like being able to monitor them, not having them hidden under the plate all the time. I have had chicks under red heat lamps, dark reptile heat emitters, and the heat plate and don’t really see much difference in terms of any one group being more comfortable than another or developing differently.
The clincher was this latest batch of chicks I just brought home yesterday from a local breeder about an hour away. Dipped beaks, shepherded them under the plate (which had been on full for four hours) and that’s where they stayed. No interest in food or water. When I took them out from under there, they started chirping within a minute and went back under. Called breeder - she thought they were cold. Heat plate was hot and definitely low enough, but the rest of the brooder was indeed on the cool side (maybe 64) and they just couldn’t get warm enough with just the heat plate to be comfortable exploring the rest of their space. So I dug out my old 250W lamp and they perked up within 10 minutes.
Maybe a heat lamp is a bit more like a warming mama hen, but there are so many things that are different when keeping chicks in a brooder, I don’t think it matters. The lamp works much better for me. I have a 175W ready to swap when they get a bit bigger.
And no need to clean a pooped on heat plate top anymore! Yay!
I admit, it's hard to clean under the heat plate. The rest of your information, is very enlightening and insightful. Thanks for posting!

I had one too and ditched it after a few hours. It didn't put out near enough heat for a room that was around 60 degrees. I will say that I've thought about using the "heating pad cave method" that is talked about on here. I think there's a benefit to having heat in a cave type pattern, so they can crowd to the back and have heat on 3 sides, if they are cold. Maybe somebody will have the link to the thread, because those that use this method say the chicks feather out faster and some actually put the cave heater in a pen right next to the adult chickens, so the chicks can grow up seeing the adults.

Here is the link. It is a good method.

Mama heating pad

http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/956958/mama-heating-pad-in-the-brooder-picture-heavy-update

those that use this method say the chicks feather out faster and some actually put the cave heater in a pen right next to the adult chickens, so the chicks can grow up seeing the adults.
My brooder is in the coop so mine grow up with the flock. That does make it easier to integrate. I use a heat lamp but only heat a small part of the 3' x 6' brooder, the far end may have ice in it but the area with the lamp stays toasty. The goal for me is to provide a spot big enough for all of them warm up if they need to but also areas cooler so they can get away from the heat. You can manage that with a heat lamp, heating pad, or a heat plate but they need to be set up correctly for the conditions. Not all heat plates are rated for colder temperatures.

If you use a heat lamp, I strongly urge you to remove that clamp so you are not even tempted to use it. Instead secure it with wire or chain. Don't use string or plastic that can burn or melt, use chain or wire to really secure it. That eliminates the vast majority of the risk from fire.

Since we like photos, here's my brooder in the coop.

Brooder.JPG

Yes, I’ve read about the heating pad version. The lamp is just so much easier and no worries that someone will get stuck under it or not find their way under it, that it’s the wrong height, all that. One nice circle of warm light at one end of the brooder and done. Also it makes night time easier. If you have them in a space where you turn on lights at night, panic will ensue when it’s time to turn the lights out, because all of a sudden it’s dark. And you have to check to make sure everyone is under the plate for the night… ufff. I had forgotten how easy the lamp was (last used one 5 years ago).

Trying the heat plate today for the first time. The chicks have formed a semi-circle around it rather than being underneath so I think they are warm enough. The brooder is currently in the house so the ambient room temperature is 67-72 depending on time of day with the sun streaming into the room. They haven't had any issues going from plate to food and water. Chicks are six days old. We shall see how this goes. I'm definitely giving the top of the plate side eyes.

That makes sense. I get my chicks in the summer so it’s not very cold, & brood in my mud room. Love the plate and knowing there’s no fire hazard in my house. Also added a tiny string of white Christmas lights in the room. They got used to day and night when the Sun went down, but had enough light to find food, water, & the plate. They were off heat about 3.5 weeks (on their own, started sleeping outside the plate), fully feathered at 4 weeks, and moved outside shortly after. Not trying to sway you, just posting for those that are undecided! Everyone has to do what works for them!

Trying the heat plate today for the first time. The chicks have formed a semi-circle around it rather than being underneath so I think they are warm enough. The brooder is currently in the house so the ambient room temperature is 67-72 depending on time of day with the sun streaming into the room. They haven't had any issues going from plate to food and water. Chicks are six days old. We shall see how this goes. I'm definitely giving the top of the plate side eyes.
The rent a coop one has a cone to prevent roosting. I thought it was a waste but I’m so glad I splurged! Someone else I read somewhere on here used an old kitchen towel secured on top of their flat plate top and just changed it daily.

... If you have them in a space where you turn on lights at night, panic will ensue when it’s time to turn the lights out, because all of a sudden it’s dark....
Or turn hall light and/or the light on your phone on before turning the room light off. And slide your hand over the phone light slowly and/or swing the door closed slowly enough that they don't panic.

It is good there are so many heat source options so more people can find one that works for them.

Back
Top Bottom