I am finally admitting that I like chickens....

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by slikchik, Sep 18, 2011.

1. slikchik

slikchik New Egg

Sep 18, 2011
    Hi all.

I'm Faith, married in my late 20's with two kids and finally ready to confess that I do actually like chickens. I've kept them for four years now with an economical excuse that the organic eggs and meat were simply the healthiest I could provide at the best cost for my family. Last summer I added a turkey to the mix (she came out of a bargain box and I told my husband that I had no idea it was a turkey - I just picked the biggest, healthiest looking "chicken" in the box at the hatchery). This year we have three turkeys, they're stinkin easy to raise, very friendly and taste delicious. I am on a continual quest to refine my operation so that I can spend less time on chores and more time sitting back enjoying family and hobbies. It was that quest that led me here - I had discovered chicken nipples in the farmtek catalog and wanted more information from real people who used them. The tutorials and pictures provided on this site were excellent information and I incorperated chicken nipples into my layer's tractor two weeks ago and haven't cleaned or filled a waterer since! I haven't registered on this board in that time because I knew that becoming a member of this community would be like crossing a line for me. No longer counld I claim indifference to my flocks, as utilitarian as they are. Nope, posting about my birds would jettison me into the realm of "hobbies" - something I do simply because I like to. But after feeding and moving my birds this afternoon, it took me an additional ten minutes of "observation time" with them before I could come back in. I could say that I take pride in managing my flock well. Or I could just give it up and admit that I like the suckers.

Don't tell my husband.

2. Parson's Wife

Parson's Wife Blessed Abundantly

Jan 22, 2008
    Arkansas
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Oh yes...very very addicting.... [​IMG]

3. Leia's Chickens

Leia's Chickens A Sunkissed Delight

Jun 20, 2010
    Oklahoma!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

How long did it take DH to figure out that ugly, gangly little chick wasn't like the rest??? [​IMG] Welcome to the support group...hehee. [​IMG]

6. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    [​IMG] [​IMG] from California

7. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from WA. glad you joined us [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG] from the Finger Lakes of New York! Admitting you have a problem is the first...wait! What am I saying?? [​IMG] Welcome to the craziness!

9. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

10. bowlingsf

bowlingsf New Egg

Sep 2, 2011
    Welcome from Arkansas! Glad you are here![​IMG]:weee:weee:welcome

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by