I am in big trouble

babyrnlc

Songster
8 Years
Jan 30, 2011
Tulsa, Ok
We have had our chicken less than 2 weeks and my mom and I went out to move the coop and we started planning building another, to get MORE chickens. Sigh! This could get bad!

We definitely need something more portable. We spent almost $200 on supplies. Is there a portable coop that will hold 4-6 hens that is cheaper or about the same as this? I would be willing to pay even more if it were lighter than ours and I don't have to build it lol. (We adopted 3 children in the last 2 years and they just made the adoption tax credit REFUNDABLE! so we will have some cash soon lo)

If you have a truck and some time you may be able to score construction materials free from Craigslist (eg. pallets). I built my coop from scraps laying around on my property. It is an eyesore, but the chickens like it just fine.

My main contribution to coop-building technology is to suggest you build it with screws so you can rearrange it more easily in the future.

As for pallet coops, if you live in the city, to keep the complaints to zero, slap some vinyl siding on that baby! Viola, a well made coop!

Quote:
Yeah here it is: (we have since added hard wire across the bottom)

chicken-1.jpg

Mom is talking about getting a stationary coop and then a large run that we connect to the coop with a large dog tube and then move the run lol. I wonder if that would work. I wonder if the chickens would go through the tube?
roll.png

Manufacturers still ship many items in sturdy wooden crates. I see them dumped behind several large hardware chains, and especially near large engine shops. That would give you a start and then you can design a roof and doors. I'm sure you have realized by now that bigger is better! Our landfill site stores things like this and others like doors and windows and we can call and go there to get recycled building materials for free. Maybe yours does this, too.
tongue.png

Last edited:
My brother and I are designing a portableish coop to hold our 4-6 chickens this spring/summer. It is still rough, but when I get it lighter, I'll post pics here. GL!

Back
Top Bottom