I am in trouble!

Grizhawk

In the Brooder
May 18, 2015
My chicken addiction has finally gone too far. I now have 68 chickens and not enough coop space. My coop is expanding to 19ft by 9ft. Big as it can possibly get. 9 of my chickens are bantams, but still not big enough. My run is massive, 200sq. Ft fully enclosed and approximately 7200 open air. Has anybody dealt with a slightly over crowded coop? Or should I be thinking about the dreaded cull?

The main coop will be divided into 2 rooms. I do have 2 4ft by 6ft mini coops. They were supposed to be tractors, but of course I built them to heavy to move.

Both, we do sell eggs but every chicken seems to be a pet with its own personality. That makes culling very difficult. We even have customers/ friends that request chicks from time to time. All this while living in town. This backyard chicken hobby got out of hand quickly, lol

No experience with that many chickens, but I think expanding your run is the key. If they spend most time outside and only roost at night in the coop than you can support more chickens

Yes, I have been thinking about that as well. I think I somehow have to do both. With the cold windy winters here, the chickens seem to spend most of their time indoors during this time. Spring, summer and fall tho your right. Outside from sun up to sun down.

Yes, I have been thinking about that as well. I think I somehow have to do both. With the cold windy winters here, the chickens seem to spend most of their time indoors during this time. Spring, summer and fall tho your right. Outside from sun up to sun down.
Perhaps you could build sort of a greenhouse run for them to use in the winter? throw old branches and perhaps a pulled up stump and they'll have plenty of things to do in there.

Back
Top Bottom