I am is desperate need of quail hatching advice!

Impress

Songster
8 Years
Jun 4, 2011
Gray, TN
So I jumped at the chance to toss some quail eggs in my incubator, the incubator was empty, I had four lonely Pekin Duck Eggs with plenty of room to spare, and what the hey, the guy was selling 4 dozen for $10. Many kinds is all he said.

So I get them home, put them in the incubator (minus the four that broke when I had to brake hard at a yellow light) and.....wait. These aren't chicken eggs. These are tiny. HOW LONG DO I INCUBATE THESE SUCKERS?

When should I lock these down? What in the heck kind of quail mixture could this be? Blue spots on some of them? I am so in over my head. Can anyone help me maybe identify some of these eggs or at least give me an inkling of when to lock down?

They are coturnix quail eggs I think it's 18 days for them tohatch, mine took another day or two. They are tiny when they areborn so you need to brood them in a glass enclosure they can get their heads through a 1/2 in by 1/2 in mesh. Also water them from a small lid or a special quail waterer because they drown easily. Good luck

I have my hatched on 16 days. The 1st 14 days 40% humidity and the last few days 60% humidity. They are growth very fast. My only 7 days old and more than twice the size and half feather out.

Thank you, so sooner than I expected, that is for sure! I'll be sure to post pictures of the lot when they are all hatched out!

incubation is usually 16-18 days, mine always came out at 16. Best thing to do is get some marbles and put them in a chick waterer so they won't drown. they eat GBS not chick crumbles, they need the gamebird starter for the higher % protien. lockdown on day 14, pump humidyti to 60-75%.

other then that they are easy, i would keep them on paper towels for the first week in the brooder, then you can move them onto shavings, no cedar of course.

Back
Top Bottom