I am leaving my chicks with my friend for about a week. How do I make sure she doesn't feed my chicks anything bad?

Sad Chick

In the Brooder
Jul 26, 2023
Hi everyone. I am leaving for vacation in 2 weeks, and I am leaving my chicks with a friend. Unfortunately, she has zero knowledge of chick-keeping. How do I assure she does not feed my chick anything bad?

Oh, and may I mention, she had a 9-year-old daughter, who is not exactly responsible when it comes to the topic of animals/pets. And, no, I do not have anyone else who can keep them for me while we are on vacation.

Any thoughts/advice?

Fill a couple feed dishes to the top, put them up on a block of wood or something, and tie them to something so they can’t be tipped over. Then you could ask your friend not to feed them anything and the hens should be good 🙂.

Fill a couple feed dishes to the top, put them up on a block of wood or something, and tie them to something so they can’t be tipped over. Then you could ask your friend not to feed them anything and the hens should be good 🙂.
Ok! <3

I leave incredibly detailed written instructions, even when my long-time critter sitter is the one taking care of my poultry, livestock and pets.

Last summer, my sitter wasn't available, and I also had to rely on someone who had no experience with chickens. I know how much anxiety that can cause. I literally walked Jennifer around to all the coops and pens, opened the containers that held the various feeds, showed her how much food everybody should get (although that was also included in the written stuff) left the phone numbers for the large-animal vet, the dog-and-cat vet and the avian vet, and told her things that any reasonably intelligent person would not need to be told.

It's probably fortunate that there is no cell phone service where I take my annual summer trip. Otherwise, I might have driven her -- and myself -- crazy with endless phone calls.

Hope you are able to enjoy your trip and that your friend takes great care of your chicks!

Back
Top Bottom