I am losing chicks every day

Remudamom

Songster
11 Years
Oct 10, 2008
West of the Mississippi
I got a shipment of 27 chicks from Ideal and after about a week I've found 1-3 dead every day. They have enough heat, room to get away from the heat, tetracycline in their water.

What can I do? At this rate I'm going to lose every single chick. They are silkies and d'uccles.

why is there antibiotics in water? Because you think they are sick? To much antibiotics is not good is it the right dose in the water? They should have electrolytes in the water. Are you using wood shavings for bedding? Do they have pastey butt?

If the shavings are to little they can eat them and that can cause problems, can you post a pic of your brooder set-up sometimes that can help people give you advice.

Something is definately not right, wouldn't expect to consistant lose any every day. I would post in emergencies part of our site and see if you get anything there. So sorry this is awful for you; the investment of time/money and emotion is great, so good luck!

Are the wood shavings cedar? If they are get rid of them and clean the brooder. Change them out for large pine shavings. Cedar is toxic to many animals.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom