1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I am new and already need help

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by dthomas61, Aug 12, 2016.

1. dthomas61

dthomas61 New Egg

Aug 12, 2016
    Lawton Oklahoma
    I was building a chicken coop for a friend and to make a long story short he never was able to afford to pick it up so I decided to keep it and put some nesting boxes in it add a few roosting areas and shingles. I also decided to elevate it off the ground but now I am not sure if I want the current side door or if I should block it and cut a door in the floor and just put some wires around the base for a run. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I would also be curious on the type of laying hens I should consider for brown eggs and not too noisy if there is such a thing. I am only wanting 4 or 5 hens.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] glad to have you join us.

That's a nice coop.

IMO the area under the coop is not large enough to offer proper space for 4-5 hens. I would suggest you either build a spacious protected run to surround the coop or use the under part for run and add a side run - keeping the original door.

There are so many breeds from which to use. Most hens are quiet most of the time, but can become quite noisy after laying those eggs with the egg songs.

I would suggest you investigate the options before finalizing your plans. There are a lot of helpful articles in the Learning Center to get you started. You can also question folks in your climate for breeds that do well there by posting in the "where are you, where am I" forums.

For breed characteristics - there are numerous sites ( including some of our sponsors) who offer information to assist in the selections.

Once you have decided to keep the coop and get your own flock, you really should explore the minimum size of coop/run you will need to enjoy having a happy flock.

3 people like this.
  3. dthomas61

dthomas61 New Egg

Aug 12, 2016
    Lawton Oklahoma
    Thank you never considered two runs The size under the coop is 4foot x 6 foot

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and :welcome. Great to have you aboard! I agree with sunflour...a more spacious run would be a good idea. Best of luck to you!

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice and links already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
    CT

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Also agree with Sunflour. BTW rule of thumb is 4-5 sg.feet per bird (excluding roosts & nest boxes) inside the coop and 10 sg.feet per bird in outdoor run. Also a cover on the run will keep birds inside and hopefully keep climbing predators & raptors OUT. A solid roof can offer shade and some protection from the elements.

Nice looking coop

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by