I am new and already need help

dthomas61

Hatching
Aug 12, 2016
Lawton Oklahoma
I was building a chicken coop for a friend and to make a long story short he never was able to afford to pick it up so I decided to keep it and put some nesting boxes in it add a few roosting areas and shingles. I also decided to elevate it off the ground but now I am not sure if I want the current side door or if I should block it and cut a door in the floor and just put some wires around the base for a run. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I would also be curious on the type of laying hens I should consider for brown eggs and not too noisy if there is such a thing. I am only wanting 4 or 5 hens.

welcome-byc.gif
glad to have you join us.

That's a nice coop.

IMO the area under the coop is not large enough to offer proper space for 4-5 hens. I would suggest you either build a spacious protected run to surround the coop or use the under part for run and add a side run - keeping the original door.

There are so many breeds from which to use. Most hens are quiet most of the time, but can become quite noisy after laying those eggs with the egg songs.

I would suggest you investigate the options before finalizing your plans. There are a lot of helpful articles in the Learning Center to get you started. You can also question folks in your climate for breeds that do well there by posting in the "where are you, where am I" forums.

For breed characteristics - there are numerous sites ( including some of our sponsors) who offer information to assist in the selections.

Once you have decided to keep the coop and get your own flock, you really should explore the minimum size of coop/run you will need to enjoy having a happy flock.

Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice and links already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
CT

Also agree with Sunflour. BTW rule of thumb is 4-5 sg.feet per bird (excluding roosts & nest boxes) inside the coop and 10 sg.feet per bird in outdoor run. Also a cover on the run will keep birds inside and hopefully keep climbing predators & raptors OUT. A solid roof can offer shade and some protection from the elements.

Nice looking coop

Back
Top Bottom