I am new and I have a problem -Los Angeles Area

tamlynn

Songster
11 Years
Nov 5, 2008
Torrance, CA
Does everyone introduce themselves that way? lol.

I have 1 banty Old English and 1 banty silver seabright pullets. About 7 months old. I was reported to animal control today. I was thinking about getting rid of them anyway because they are noisy! The seabright actually makes crowing noises at 6am! They are both laying eggs.

So first question, is there anyone in the Los Angeles area who would like them?

Second question: what is the absolute quietest hen just in case we can get animal control to work with us? I really do love having chickens.

Thanks.

Tamlynn

OK, my post got moved here so I added my location. More specifically Torrance, CA

Last edited:
so sorry
sad.png
Now I have a tiny silkie hen and she is very quiet...I have some quiet and noisy of each breed I have but the silkie is really quiet.
hu.gif

Are you wanting bantams or standard hens? I have speckled sussex and buff orpingtons, and they are pretty quiet standards. Or at least mine are.

Bantams that I have that are quiet are the Quail Antwerp D'Anvers and my Silkies. Course, all of my roos of those breeds are noisey as all get out. Except my Speckled Sussex. For some reason, those boys don't crow.

My BLRW are pretty quiet, too.

chickens are little kids some are yell'ers and some wall flowers,
mine orps start blah-blah-ing at 5.30-6am

i'm sorry you have to get rid of your chickens. Are you sure - have you checked the ordinances? We recently moved from Los Angeles and were allowed to have chickens in our area, Tarzana.

A lot of people that have silkies say they are quiet. i have silkies and mine are definitely not quiet. But i may have the exception. Have you spoken with your neighbors to see who might be having a problem with the noise? Sometimes some free eggs can do a lot to mend fences.

Good luck!

I found this for ya...

SECTION 41.1.2. ANIMALS KEPT ON RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY.
(Amended by O-3397)
The following uses are unlawful and a public nuisance:
a) Keeping or maintaining more than three (3) small animals of any one kind or an aggregate total of four (4) small animals which are kept harbored or maintained after the weaning period of not to exceed nine (9) weeks on property used for residential purposes except as otherwise permitted in this Code and except with a Special Permit from the Director of Building and Safety as provided in Section 41.11.1.
b) Keeping or maintaining animals which create objectionable odors or noises, if said odors or noises are substantially detrimental to adjacent residential units or properties. Such maintaining or keeping shall be substantially detrimental to residential units or properties if:
1) Said odors or noises if they in fact unreasonably interfere with the comfortable or peaceful use of said property; or
2) Cause a substantial diminution to adjoining property value or prevent its development; or
3) Constitute a health hazard because of its generation, attraction or perpetuation of bacteria or vermin.
c) Keeping or maintaining farm type animals.

SECTION 41.6.3. PROPER BROODER FACILITIES REQUIRED.
No person shall sell, offer for sale, barter or give away any rabbits, baby chicks, ducklings or other fowl unless such person provides proper brooder facilities for the care of such fowl during the time they are in the possession of such person

Heres the site for your city's codes

http://municipalcodes.lexisnexis.com/codes/torrance/

To get to the text I quoted

1. Click on DIVISION 4 - PUBLIC HEALTH AND WELFARE
2. Click on CHAPTER 1 - ANIMALS AND FOWL
3. then you can search for the section number

Hope this helps you
smile.png

From what i learned from living down in LA, you can have any number of chickens as long as they are housed at least 20 feet from your residence and 35 feet from any neighboring residences. This means 35 feet from any neighboring house, not their fence line. If you have a rooster then that is increased to 100 feet from any neighboring residences.

i'm honestly surprised Animal Control would answer their phone, let alone actually pursue a case of two bantam chickens in someone's backyard. There are a lot of folks with chickens in LA, and Animal Control is busy enough with serious issues.

Back
Top Bottom