I am new to ducks.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by adorable, Nov 5, 2009.

1. adorable

adorable Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2007
    near ottawa ontario
    I have bought a adult pair of chocolate muskovies.I was wondering what do i do for them for the winter. Right now i have them in the barn in their own stall from everyone else. On a bed of straw. They come out in the morning ,,,,it is funny i open the barn doors and open there stall up. They come out running with their wings just a going. I laugh every time. They love free range. Then i feed them and water. A pail of course. But i never kept ducks over the winter before. The barn isnt heated . Any suggestions would be great. Oh ya ..What age do the female start laying eggs. This pair was this year hatch. [​IMG]

2. DuckMamaorBust

DuckMamaorBust Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2009
    Westford, MA
    [​IMG]

You're in the right place. I'm merely an aspiring duck owner but there are a LOT of folks on here who can really help. Enjoy! From everything I've heard the muscovies are easy to care for and a pleasure to be around.

3. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    I really don't do a whole lot different in the winter for my scovies. They are in a predator proof house at night. Fresh water, fresh straw in the house, free range during the day, keep their pool as clean as possible. I do all of this year round the only difference is it's harder to keep their pool changed cuz it freezes. Other than that I treat them the same.

4. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Ducks ae very cold hardy so yoiu whould be fine, snow or just cold winds. Free ranging is GREAT! Really the only thing it seems you need to worry about is the water freezing. Is your barn dry? They should be able to get cozy in the stall or you can build or buy them a little duck hut if they cant stay in the stall.

Females usually start laying at about 5 months.

5. adorable

adorable Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2007
    near ottawa ontario
    thanks a lot. For the winter i have a large heated pail for them. So i guess they will be fine.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by