I am not sure what to do!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kimisfishing, Oct 7, 2011.

1. kimisfishing

kimisfishing Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2011
    Branson Missouri
    I was thinking I might need to protect my chickens from the wind for the winter. Do I need to build ( walls) around the outside of the pen and if so all the way around or just some sides and what sides? [​IMG]

2. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    It kind of depends on your location, I think. Some places (those that get quite a bit of snow) I would totally enclose, leaving/making a window or something on the south side, while others that get mostly just wind I would only enclose the north and east sides. Here in Upstate NY we get a lot of snow, so I have a greenhouse type of enclosure out the back door (my birds are free ranged all the rest of the year) made out of PVC pipe, rebar, and that clear/white plastic, or an unused calf hutch set right up to the outside wall so their door opens right into it.

3. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    My chickens don't like to go out of the coop when it's really windy so in the winter I put up a tarp on the wind side (the top and back and other side are already covered). This year I'm going to put up some clear plastic instead so light gets in. I just tied it from side to side at the top, hung it over the top line like hanging a blanket on a clothesline then tied it every 3 feet so that the wind doesn't flap it around and tear it to pieces. You can see that snow still blew in from the top where it's at an angle. I may cut some boards and put them up there this year as well. I better get on the ball!!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Tarps will work. I'd tarp the north wall & northwest wall. Put them up before the norther starts blowing. I froze my tail off last year putting them up as the norther blew in. I tarped my coops windows not the run.

5. smokinjay

smokinjay Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2011
    I have 25 bails of straw and plastic. Will play it by ear and can move the bails quickly. Will wait til deep Dec. before covering the run with plastic, just to keep all the sun light I can.

6. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    Yep tarps are what we are going to use. On the west side around the coop. We had a ton of snow last year and if we get it this year then the chickens won't be able to get out of the coop. [​IMG] I hope for a mellow winter. The farmers almanac actually said Kansas is supposed to have above average temps...

7. kimisfishing

kimisfishing Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2011
    Branson Missouri
    Ok great ideas, the north wall of mine is 10 ft from my house so it should be good, hubby might be able to get me a bunch of clear plastic so I can cover the other 3 walls. I might put the pallates up against it to keep it tight.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by