I am Nothing of a Builder, But Here I Dreamt I was an Architect (PICS)

since some have requested it, here are my hand drawn plans... The first is a floor plan, the second is a side view. It's a little bigger than i originally drew, since i have enough space it make it bigger. Don't mind my "chicken Scratch" on the paper, lol... These were my first intital drawings and i changed the actual pen as i built it. I originally had a shelf idea for the kitty litter pans, but instead changed them to "feet" the pen would sit on. I realized this pen is up a very long narrow flight of stairs in my studio and had to be built so i could take it apart eventually when i move out, lol.

pen1.jpg

pen2.jpg

So yours get to play and swim in the bathtub? My five are in a coop outside and I need to do something better for the shavings or litter/straw. I've got one whole side of the coop as nesting boxes and a heat lamp over their water. People here keep telling me no one's ever kept ducks over the winter before, they didn't know it could be done and everyone has always butchered theirs in the Fall. My Vietnamese friends want to eat my ducks! I've got two female Magpies (one is crested) and three Cayuga's (two drakes and one female). I can't wait to take them to my cabin this coming summer because there is a very large grazing area and a large pond just below my cabin. Their coop is on wheels so their home will be the same. I'm hoping my geese will share the pond and grazing or else I'll have to either pen them off separately or they'll have to have one outing for only half of the day, daily. I didn't take mine to camp last year because a pair of Arctic Loons raised two chicks there, it has a small island:)

Your set up looks GREAT and if I wasn't living w/my adult children, I'd do the same thing;) As it is, they grumble about my silkie roo crowing every time the dogs bark when someone or I go in or out the door...especially when one dog has to go out to the bathroom (yard) about 4am...LOL! And the kids (adults) love to imitate the quack quack quack when the ducks are outside in the summer. No one's eating my five! We're eating their eggs until the weather gets warmer and until they learn they should sit on the eggs to hatch them. Its their first year of laying.

Oh Nettie! That is even more spectacular than I could ever imagine!!!! The litter pan areas is a great idea that you incorporated well into your design. You did an excellent job...David MUST be proud of you but no more so than your spoiled babies.

I enjoyed your visit yesterday, it's always good to see you. And my babies said to tell you....quack-quack!

Claudia

Quote:
lol, my fiance is a first born generation Chinese man. His parents moved here when they were in their 20's/30's. Inf act he's the only member of his family here in the states that was born here. His family makes "peking" duck all the time. When he was little, they used to buy a duck or goose and bring it home live. then before dinner his grandma would butcher it and cook it up.

But since i insisted on getting ducks last summer, he's fallin in love with them. He can't bring himself to eat any duck or goose any more. lol. We even brought the ducks to visit his parents, who also loved the ducks. lol. Though i think they will still eat other ducks, lol.

Back
Top Bottom