I am now a true Texan--aka wierd foods

spacetygrss

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 24, 2009
DFW, TX
I grew up a military brat (although I have family all over the place, Northeast, Southeast, Chicago, California, with Chicago being considered "home."). Anyhow, I've been living in Texas for over 4 years now and tonight I finally took the ultimate plunge. I bought, prepared and ate....Calf fries.
ep.gif
And they were really good.
big_smile.png
According to my husband, who is a Texan, I am now a true-blue Texan. LOL.

I've eaten tons of other things that people tend to think of as weird (sashimi, squid, octopus, snails, tripe, tongue, oxtail, and the list goes on), but I never thought that I'd eat testicles. LOL.

So, what have you eaten?

The weirdest thing I ate when I moved to Texas was crawfish(love them now!).

Where I grew up we considered them bait!

And you have just crossed a culinary line I won't.

As for what I've eaten, to be honest I stopped asking when offered delcatsies abroad. I was given so many dishes when I worked in Asia while expecting "Eat this, you will grow a strong son!", that I stopped asking a learned that I can choke anything down, including 1 that had the taste and texture of a bar of granny's soap. In Africa I decided I was a vegitarian, but I did have some ostrich the last week, pretty good actually.

Ooops, my bad. Not enough coffee I guess for that time of day. Probably would help if I wore my glasses too.

SO, how thick do you slice these? Breading? Seasonings?

I once ate Friskies to see what so fascinated the toddler. Have introduced a whole troop of Scouts to crawfishing (when the regular fishing was a dud). Picked mushrooms out of the yard and ate them (giant puffballs). Alligator - at a restaurant. Frog legs. Fresh water clams raw while standing in the lake (buddy dare). Various wild greens.
Certain relatives are freaked enough that I eat venison. They don't even know about the chickens.

You fry them whole. I haven't had calf fries, just lamb fries. They were delicious!!! I got the kids to try them, and decided that if I had them try them, I needed to, too! Then we ended up fighting over them!
gig.gif

The funny thing is, my 12 yo DD tried them and loved them, then I told her what they were.
sickbyc.gif
She gagged at the thought, then shrugged, and said it didn't matter, because they were too delicious! LOL!

Now, they beg for them.

Shelly

Back
Top Bottom