I am ready to take my food saver outside and throw it as far as I can!

If you really think you need to freeze first...use a cookie sheet, spread whatever all over, freeze, and then bag it...This works great for things like strawberries, so they aren't mushed.

So, what are you trying to seal?

Melinda

Quote:
I'm with you! Worked great for the first couple weeks; now, I'd like to whip mine in the weeds as well...where the girls won't find it and choke on the pieces
wink.png
of course.

Now that I have those rolled plastics stocked (@ 9 bucks ea) the thing won't suck for nothin' but seals OR sucks good and only partially seals. Sucks being the key word! he he he

Found it at Wallyworld for 41 dollars...is it the same as yours?

i have had three differnet versions of this darn machine! Including the name brand "food saver" machine. I currently found the ziplock hand pump sseal bag system, and I LOVE IT! all my other machines are now out in the back feild! And those pieces of $#*@&*#@^@!* can stay there!

LOL I absolutely can't live without mine. I blanch the food and freeze it on wax paper lined cookie sheets. Then I seal it. I got mine so I could seal the chicken and pork we raise. I still use chicken from last August, no freezer burn at all. My annoyance is that if the piece of meat is too big, it doesn't seal properly.

Quote:
Well now this is a great idea! I'll have to try this! I was trying to seal blanched squash. Today I have some bell pepper to do, it should go much better.

Eeep I hope the roll goes ok, I took a look at the price of bags yesterday it was nuts! I could practically just buy fresh squash at the produce section during winter for the price of a bag!

I looked at Walmart and this is the $70 model. My mom and sis love theirs. And I know my mother's gonna be looking around to see if I've used mine... so, hopefully the bell pepper goes well. I can say... "oh, look Mom!" Then put it away. Though I do like the idea of storing meat this way.

Ok, now I'm worried. I just got one a week ago and have been using it for freezing corn. Somehow I missed that I needed to freeze the corn first? I did have two bags not seal right. One I was able to cut off and re-seal, the other I just marked on that it didn't seal & use it first.

Was planning to use it for peppers this weekend. They aren't as juicy so it should be fine, right?

With the paper towel idea, are you sealing the paper towel into the bag? I've been wiping off the top 4 or 5 inches inside the bag before I seal.

Last edited:
I LOVE mine but years ago stopped using the bags or any container made by them. We still have the original, purchased over 9 years ago or so.
hide.gif

I use ball wide mouth gallon glass jars to pack and freeze in. If it is liquid, like soup, I leave space at the top, freeze uncovered and then vacpac. We have the "wide mouth" adapter thingamabob.

The ONLY time I have had the glass break is when one fell out of the freezer and hit the floor.

Our cupboards are full of the glass jars - I put everything in them - rice, popcorn, sugar, flour, etc. Sorry getting carried away.

Quote:
Yes, I do seal the paper towel into the bag. With meats and with blanched veggies. The only things I freeze first and then put into the vac bags are things like chili and "leftover" bbq - we make both these in large quantities.

edited 'cause I can't spell

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom