I am so dissappointed....someone feel my pain.

winekntrychicks

Pooper Peeper
11 Years
Jul 26, 2008
Sebastopol, CA
I am new to chickens. Mine are 24 weeks old. They were on medicated start and grow for the first 19 weeks of their lives. I learned about feed, deep litter, egg laying and read up on the most common diseases. We have taken the best of care of them. We spent almost 2 G'S on coop and run. Now one of them is pooping mucous with blood flecks in it. Don't know for sure if its Cocci or not. Started her on sulmet today. She won't eat or drink so I have been force feeding AND hydrating her all day. So now I am just waiting.
he.gif

I've been through it as well. I thought I was doing everything the best I could but I still had a couple get sick like that. Neither one pulled out of it for me. My BO had a walking roblem for a week or so and she was just laying around not wanting to eat or drink. But I nursed her through whatever was wrong with her and she is doing great. I hope things get betterquickly for you.
hugs.gif

I do feel your pain, your little chicken is sick. I am also new to chickens so can offer no advice.
I know someone on here BYC will be answering you soon.

I am sorry about your little chickie.
hugs.gif

I had a bunch I got thru the auction & they were so sick! Luckily I had them quarentined & I tried everything to shape them up but they were so far gone. Makes you wonder how anyone could ever try to sell something like that.

I hope she makes it & the Sulmet works for her.

I do feel your pain, and you are acting as quickly as you can. One of the things about having poultry is that some seem to be as hardy as tanks....others are as fragile as tissue. You cannot predict nature, and need to be prepared to deal with the emotional hurdles....But dont give up, because the benefits that you can gain from having the little beasts around far outweigh the harsh reality that we are dealing with nature/fragile lives here.....there will be loss, there usually is....

I've felt like I've had my heart ripped out 43 times this year, having a predator take away my little ones (even a big one, PJ was 13 pounds!)...taking them silently, one by one...and we're trying everything we can to outsmart whatever is doing it.... I want to keep my pets safe?

Hopefully you've gotten a handle on the matter with the Sulmet? Maybe things will get better, I wish you the best of luck!! Take care of your self and your little ones,

Tina/tfpets

Don't give up. Mine were sick and I tought they would die but they are still alive.
They run and play now in the backyard.
You'll never know when they die so enjoy them as long as you can :aww

I posted on your other thread (sorry just saw your pm) and I see there is a bit more info (history) in this thread
Do you have your bird separated? If not do so (get her out of the coop)
I see also that you have deep litter system... your bird might be pecking around in that and exasperating the problem (IMHO I would never choose that system)
monitor your other birds poos carefully....
When was the last time you wormed your birds?
If you have never wormed them and they free range I would worm (all birds) with ivomec EPRINEX (spot on method > on the skin at the base of the neck)
I would be careful "cutting" grass for them... it is always in bigger pieces than the tiny nips they take themselves when free ranging and therefore you run the risk of impacting the crop.

Back
Top Bottom