I am so eggcited! For the first time, I witnessed one of my hens lay an egg!

edible_chicken

Songster
8 Years
May 15, 2011
Ohio
I went outside a few minutes ago to work on the coop and the "runt" (as we call her) was just starting her routine to lay an egg. I have always wanted to watch, but never had the opportunity or the time until now. It was really cool!

I am more and more grateful I bought these chickens as every day passes. Before I bought them, my family and friends teased me for wanting chickens, even my wife wasn't enthused. now my wife absolutely loves them and even some of my family and friends have become interested raising their own!

Congrats!
thumbsup.gif
. I've never seen my birds lay their eggs yet but maybe one day
fl.gif

I've watched my girls a few times, it really is cool!
cool.png
Glad you caught her in the act. People thought I was nuts too. (They were right of course, but for different reasons.) But as you've seen, chickens are contagious!!!
wee.gif
Keep spreading it!

It really does make you look in awe. When I first witnessed one of my hens lay I was so grateful. Then I watched when she finished, and she was just standing up, panting. I thanked her of course
smile.png

How neat! I got really close to seeing it once, she was in the nest box one second, eating treats out of my hand the next. I look over and there's the egg, still wet. I had to laugh...I think she got so excited about the treats she just squeezed it out really fast!!
lol.png

I know what you mean about influencing others into wanting chickens...I'm the only one of my friends who own chickens, and the ones who turned up their noses when they found out I was getting them now want some of their own!

Chickens are contagious..
wink.png

I've seen it a couple of times but the best moment was when Rebecca (the dominant rooster's favorite hen) actually laid her egg in the palm of my hand. She lays green eggs, so it was really interesting to watch the "bloom" dry on the egg.

Wait until you incubate eggs yourself and watch them hatch. THAT'S a rush! It's such a miracle. Life from something that could just as easily been part of my breakfast 21 days earlier. Wow.

Back
Top Bottom