I am SO sad - pullet found dead

crusting

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 21, 2009
I had two 10 week olds and two 2 year olds all together since the younger ones were 4 weeks old. They were all doing fabulously, though the two groups were avoiding each other. I checked on them this morning and all was fine. A couple of hours later I checked again and one of the younger ones was stuck behind the water can. It got out and ran into the coop and I thought it was okay. Then I checked again just about an hour ago and it was dead in the nesting box and there was blood. It looks like it might have injured itself when it was stuck. I feel SO bad. I wish I had checked it out earlier. I don't know if I could have done something. She was such a sweet girl.
So now I have the one 10 week old and the two 2 year olds. i'm getting no eggs at all right now because the older ones appear to be moulting. I don't know what my plan of action should be. Maybe just wait a few months to see who is laying and how many eggs we get. Part of me is wanting to start all over with 4 pullets of the same age. But I feel bad just "getting rid" of the ones I have. It was too much work to try to integrate the different ages to do that again.
sad.png
sad.png
sad.png

hugs.gif
I'm so sorry for your loss. Please don't beat yourself up. Sometimes things like this just happen. You couldn't have done anything to prevent it. It's obvious that you love your birds very much.

bawkbawk, it could have been.....but the blood was in a weird place for that i think--under the wing near the leg. it looks to me like her wing got crunched back and she got squished somehow. the older ones might have pecked once the blood was there. that's why i feel bad. if i had checked her out when it happened then maybe i could have separated her from them.

I am so sorry
Imsorry-1.gif
Please don't blame yourself. Accidents happen. When we are new things happen through that learning process. You will never again not check on the chicks or a chick in the future. You can not blame yourself, in life we do the best thing we know at that time and if you knew better I am sure you would have done it differently. The older girls need to adjust now to this young pullet. Free graze the 3 of them together, pull a chair and feed treats and be the referee while doing it. If need be feed them in 2 bowls main meals so the eating does not become an issue until full grown and then the larger younger pullet can take care of herself. Lots of options so don't fret or panic
panic.gif
things work out and so will this.

Back
Top Bottom