I am surrounded by broodies - help, advice? I am over my head.

I managed to move the hen that was in the "up high" outdoor nest boxes (which are about my chest level) down into a large doghouse where she seems happy and hopefully will not be bothered by other hens trying to lay in her nest. Twice I have found her in the wrong nest and her eggs were cool so I might have to pitch those and start over. No concrete plan for the other 4 hens that are in the hen house. Who are playing musical nests but so far seem to at least be keeping them warm - just not the same nest each day.

The other thing I have foolishly done is forgotten to note which hens started setting when. Or at least, which EGGS were set when since the hen on any particular nest keeps changing.

Last night I candled the eggs under each hen to check for viability. Even the EE/ Americana eggs under the “doghouse hen” - the one I keep finding off and on the wrong nest - seem to be doing well despite her being off the nest more than I would have thought was healthy. I took any eggs that seemed blank - presumably new eggs laid on top of the old - and moved them to an incubator. I marked all the other eggs with pencil so I could keep track. Now - the waiting and watching game.

Ok, relocated two more hens to a large doghouse and a large dog crate covered with a tarp to the transition pen aka “the maternity ward” which now has 3 hens and one duck. While moving one nest I dropped a Marans egg and cracked it pretty badly - shell only though.:barnieI immediately carried it to the house and covered the cracks/dent (think baseball to windshield) with beeswax, and put it in an incubator. Ugh. But all 3 hens took to their new digs right away so I am cautiously optimistic. My poor little Phoenix is sharing a nest with another hen who decided it was her time, too, 3 days ago. I keep pitching her out but back she goes. I’ll have to make her a nest elsewhere I guess.

I feel your pain. I have 7 broody hens. 5 of them are due to hatch this weekend, and the other 2 next weekend. I did candle their eggs last week, and a bunch of them were spoiled. This is the first time I have so many go broody and they all switch nests when they get up to eat and drink water. I'm wondering if all the switching is causing the eggs to spoil? Most of them are down to just 1 viable egg and hopefully doesn't fail by the weekend. It would be sad to see none of them have any chicks.

broody.jpg

Now a buff Polish has decided she wants in on the action too. She stole the nest with the marans eggs. I think I should kick her out before things get too crazy. Oh, wait...too late. My nest boxes look like a maternity ward, a row of flat dinner plate chickens with a faraway look in their eyes and puffed feathers, punctuated by the occasional growl.
Funny! I'm hearing you - I think my young Light Sussex wants in on the action on the back of my 2 silkies (one hatched one on day 15 :lau). I'm hoping I'm good with my only 2 other chickens as they are hybrids so I"m really hoping will just keep laying and leave off going broody! Look forward to hearing your outcome!

Back
Top Bottom