I am totally getting discouraged about keeping chickens...

I couldn't agree more! You need to fight for the right to keep your pets/livestock. It would be the 'zen' thing to do. What is right is right. Who else in your town opposed this ordinance? There must be some.

Ok today is a better day, thanks so much for the encouragement all. Truly.

So I heard of MRTFA and plan on using that if push comes to shove. I have had several friends throughout the US who have been forced to rehome their chickens. Who would have thought it was such a political sword? I've written my local rep and plan on pushing that issue.

I forced myself, and my odd neighbor to "intro and chat" yesterday. A few weeks ago dh and I were working on the COOP and I stepped backwards and saw this man actually hanging over his fence eavesdropping on us! Well how do you come back from that he ran in the house. So last night, getting frustrated with it all I said HELLO NEIGHBOR and forced the guy to come and intro himself and meet me. Turns out he's been laid off for 2 years and prolly bored. He covets our giant shed. Maybe in the not so distant future he would like to be educated about fresh eggs and chickens. We'll see.
I'll just have to be careful about the roo's. Only adult silkies I guess from here on out.

You guys rock and thats what makes this forum so amazing!

GO zengrrl GO!!!!
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif

I live in a suburb of Minneapolis, MN and we have a little over an acre of land, and a fairly private yard. I live in an area that says you can have a horse if you have 2 1/2 acres, but you need 3 acres to have chickens. How stupid is THAT. It is a noise ordinance thing.

My husband built the nicest coop, behind our garage, where the Ramsey PD can't see
wink.png
(he's such a good guy) even though we knew we aren't supposed to have chickens. It wasn't free to build either! We have no intention of getting rid of anyone. Our solution is that we just don't have any roos. Our chickens are pets, we only want eggs anyway, and our hens have been fairly quiet except for the occassional loud and proud clucking over a well laid egg! We are on our second batch of laying hens and have never had even the slightest problem. One of our neighbors, who we aren't particularly fond of, even brought home one of my escapee's, when she decided to try her wings a little and flew over the fence. We promptly brought him a dozen beautiful eggs! No problems. We have since installed a few 6' high fence panels, to contain the fly'ers.

Someday, I wish these idiots who make city ordinances would come and sit with me and watch how funny my hens are, see how they don't smell, they aren't noisy, and have a breakfast with the best eggs they have ever tasted. They would surely change their minds. in the meantime, you can do so much with inexpensive fencing, tall ornamental grasses, large shrubs, etc.

Good luck to you and your chickens! I hope it works out for you. (and them!)

I agree with using the creative landscape technique. Also maybe some lattice on any sides that are more visable. I would also like to offer to help you if you need. If you should need a temporary home for them I think I could help you out for a while. I live on 2 acres have 13 chickens and now that the littles are in the coup with the bigs I even have a spare coup and 10'x15' dog kennel run. I really don't need more chickens, but to keep some for a little while would not be a big problem for me. I am quite frankly surprised they have a law like that. Michigan always seemed pretty chicken friendly to me. Good luck and feel free to pm me if you need some help.

If you really want to keep poultry then I would move.Cheap houses can be had even though it might mean taking a loss on yours.It is worth it to sell and move into a home/area where you are not fretting over the city code enforcer daily. I told my dh I would rather move than meet the needs of the city and neighbors if it comes down to it.

For hiding stuff get some miscanthus giganticus. I am getting 20 roots this fall.I was told that the plants are already 7-8 feet tall,and that was around the end of June.Great plant for privacy.But I will tell you sometimes my hens are louder than the roo,and they just bawk bawk bawk forever after laying an egg(or wanting too).Again, I would want to move.It stinks living in fear.I worry for my roo so I can relate somewhat.

Quote:
Wow - that stuff seems amazing! I would love to get some of those for my yard. Where are you purchasing those from and are they expensive? I'd love to hear more.

Quote:
Thanks for the offer thats very kind of you. If i ever need to refugee them I'll keep your offer in mind. Its amazing how many people in MI are on this board. Considering the agricultural background its not surprising but its as if the cities want everything a giant subdivision. Ugh.

I am so sorry! I've been discouraged a time or two as well. No code issues, but I've had chickens that have gotten sick, even though I feel that I've been a doting mama hen........I suspect it was something spread by wild birds, since we are surrounded with woods.

I don't know what to say except to give you a big hug!
hugs.gif

And I wish you the best!

Quote:
As I understand the Michigan right to far laws, this should not be necessary. This wouldn't be the first time a town had to back down because this law supersedes.

Back
Top Bottom