I am TOTALLY new to raising chickens... I was given some chicks and have no idea what breed or sex t

Also, you do have a heat lamp for them right? They look too young to be outside - Temperatures should be 32 for the first week of their life.
I only say this because I see that they are outside, and the last picture - the chick looks cold to me.
idunno.gif
x2, they should be roughly between 95-90 degrees F on their first week, then you decrease the temperature by 5 degrees F each week until you reach 65 degrees F.

JerseyGiantFolk - good to know, Friday I'm getting 2 week old Salmon Favs and Cochins from PiperOmar:celebrate Now I can make sure they stay happy and healthy....
I have found that 95 is far too warm for my chicks. They pant at that. I usually try to go 85-90 for the first week. They will tell you what they want. If they pant and avoid the lamp, you have to move it up. They do far better with cold than heat.

Always allow somewhere for them to escape the heat lamp. There should be places that aren't heated in the brooder.

Back
Top Bottom