I am TOTALLY new to raising chickens... I was given some chicks and have no idea what breed or sex t

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by 1of5wives, May 22, 2012.

1. 1of5wives

1of5wives Hatching

May 22, 2012
    Barrie, Ontario, Canada
    My friend thought she would get some chickens.... unfortunately she did not check the bylaws and after getting the chickens she was told by her neighbour that it was illegal to keep chickens in the city. I have ended up with the chickens and have no idea what breed or sex they are... Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, and I look forward to learning many, many, chicken related info.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. n8ivetxn

n8ivetxn Songster

Nov 15, 2011
    Elma, Washington
    What cuties! - I had to stop and look, but I'm completely useless in this department. You came to the right place - Soon you'll know!

3. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    Im sorry i cant be of any help. At the age they are it would be very hard for alot of people to tell breeds since alot of chicks have the same down makerings and as for sex you wont be able to tell for a few months. If she got them from a feed store or hatchery mostlikely a good portion of them are hens. Do any have fuzzy legs or green/grey legs?

4. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    The white one with the black in the wing might be a light sussex.

5. aoxa

aoxa Crowing

Where did your friend get them from?

6. aoxa

aoxa Crowing

Also, you do have a heat lamp for them right? They look too young to be outside - Temperatures should be 32 for the first week of their life.

I only say this because I see that they are outside, and the last picture - the chick looks cold to me. :idunno

7. farmerChef

farmerChef Songster

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    Gold faced are Gold Laced, probly Wyandottes
    White faced are Silver Laced, probly Wyandottes, unless the have feathered legs then Cochins.
    Not sure on the yellow ones

8. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    Just some advice: you need to cut the grass up into smaller pieces for them. They won't be able to do it themselves at this age and they can't eat that big of a piece of grass. Wouldn't want them to choke on it. :)

9. aoxa

aoxa Crowing

[​IMG] This is what I do for mine. They didn't start trying to eat it until they were 2 weeks old - though the geese loved it from day 1.

10. n8ivetxn

n8ivetxn Songster

Nov 15, 2011
    Elma, Washington
    Very nice set up, aoxa! I need to assemble something like that.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: