I am TOTALLY new to raising chickens... I was given some chicks and have no idea what breed or sex t

1of5wives

Hatching
7 Years
May 22, 2012
Barrie, Ontario, Canada
My friend thought she would get some chickens.... unfortunately she did not check the bylaws and after getting the chickens she was told by her neighbour that it was illegal to keep chickens in the city. I have ended up with the chickens and have no idea what breed or sex they are... Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, and I look forward to learning many, many, chicken related info.

Im sorry i cant be of any help. At the age they are it would be very hard for alot of people to tell breeds since alot of chicks have the same down makerings and as for sex you wont be able to tell for a few months. If she got them from a feed store or hatchery mostlikely a good portion of them are hens. Do any have fuzzy legs or green/grey legs?

Also, you do have a heat lamp for them right? They look too young to be outside - Temperatures should be 32 for the first week of their life.

I only say this because I see that they are outside, and the last picture - the chick looks cold to me. :idunno

Just some advice: you need to cut the grass up into smaller pieces for them. They won't be able to do it themselves at this age and they can't eat that big of a piece of grass. Wouldn't want them to choke on it. :)

Just some advice: you need to cut the grass up into smaller pieces for them. They won't be able to do it themselves at this age and they can't eat that big of a piece of grass. Wouldn't want them to choke on it. :)
7666b8c2.jpg
This is what I do for mine. They didn't start trying to eat it until they were 2 weeks old - though the geese loved it from day 1.

Back
Top Bottom