1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I am trying real hard but just can't tell

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sandybrookchick, Aug 13, 2013.

1. sandybrookchick

sandybrookchick New Egg

Aug 13, 2013
    [​IMG]

I am having a difficult time telling if my 3 barred rocks are cockerel or pullets. Can anyone tell me what I have? I think the two to the left are cockerels and the one on the right is a pullet. I have tried and tried to read on how to tell the difference. I get to a point where I think I can figure it out, then I go outside and look and still shake my head. I give up. They are about 12 weeks old. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Eh. At 12 weeks, I'm guessing they're all the same age, right? I'm thinking all pullets. The one in the middle kinda tweaks my roo-dar, the lighter color and slightly thicker legs could be roo. But, at this age I'd sure expect a lot more comb and starting of hackle and saddle feathers, and I'm just not seeing those. Maybe post again in a few weeks just to be sure?

3. sandybrookchick

sandybrookchick New Egg

Aug 13, 2013
    Thank you! I am feeling a little sigh of relief. I almost gave one away because I was afraid it was going to be a rooster. I had a bad experience with a very aggressive Rhode Island Red rooster named Porkchop last year. I don't want to go through that again. I will post another photo in a few weeks. Thanks again

4. chickenluver555

chickenluver555 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2013
    Virginia
    The middle one is the one most likely to turn out to be a rooster. Roos have lighter coloring than females, and thicker legs. Here is an example, the rooster is on the left, and the two others are hens. But your middle one still isn't as light as most of the roos I have seen, so there is still a chance it could be a girl.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  5. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    They look like 3 girls to me. Do you have day old pics of the 3 of them?

6. CowGrrrl

CowGrrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2013
    The middle one is a cockerel, the rest pullets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by