I am wanting to show my juvenile Royal Palm Turkeys and am looking for some advice

ChickenMack

Songster
8 Years
Oct 7, 2011
I have a nice trio, two hens and one tom, of RP's that were hatched in June of this year. I have a show coming up where I am taking some poultry and was thinking of taking these three, mostly for the experience of showing turkeys. They will only be four months old at the time of the show, is that too young? Also, what pattern will the judges be looking for? All solid black stripe on wings with white? Can there be any, what I would call sprinkling, on the wing feathers? How far should there be coloring on the neck? What would disqualify a RP? The SOP is a help but I need specifics?! Anyone showing RP's or have any advice?

My advice is to take what you have to the show and use it as a learning expefience. The judge should be able to give you some insight after all the judging is finished. Yes, maybe perhaps there is some undesirability or disqualifying points on the birds but you never know! I dont breed rps....I do BRs and showed mine fir the 1st time last year. Straight from my breeding pens to the show table...both birds I entered placed very well and I learned a lot doing it! The age of the birds is a little young but yes, you can enter them as young tom or hen vs old tom or old hen.

Thank you so much for that advice, I will take the trio and see how they do. Not a lot of people show their turkeys, or other large fowl, up here in the NW, so it will be interesting. Again, thanks!

Back
Top Bottom