I am WORRIED! Please help

newbie32

Songster
6 Years
Aug 16, 2013
Low Desert, CA
My chicken has had these wet feathers every since I gave Wazine treatment-about 2 or 3 days. I can not find anything wrong with him/her. I have Googled this and found nothing except for in cases with Ducks. Please Please help!!! I am worried about my beloved chicken-he/she happens to be my favorite! Age is 7 weeks old

Should I bath with DAWN?

Last edited:
It won't hurt to give her a bath. Make sure there's warm water and pet/baby shampoo and do it outside if you can, there's a how to link in my signature.

It won't hurt to give her a bath. Make sure there's warm water and pet/baby shampoo and do it outside if you can, there's a how to link in my signature.

Ummm I checked out your page but I don't have a blow dryer. It is 100+ degrees outside so cant I just put her/him outside to dry after towel drying?

I took more pics...

Eye pic because someone told me it looked possible swollen but I don't think so. Anyone?

You can clearly see the wet feathers both underneath and on the wings

Very strange. It's just on one side? Is there a smell? Or is it just wet? I'd leave her alone for now. As long as she's eating and drinking, and running around, she's fine. Could be she just knocked into her waterer and got wet on one side.

Not sure why you dosed with Wazine. Birds that young usually haven't had a chance to pick up worms. Did she feel skinny? Keep in mind that young birds are thinner than you think they should be- don't judge weight based on grocery store chicken!

Her eye looks healthy to me so no worries there.

Very strange. It's just on one side? Is there a smell? Or is it just wet? I'd leave her alone for now. As long as she's eating and drinking, and running around, she's fine. Could be she just knocked into her waterer and got wet on one side.

Not sure why you dosed with Wazine. Birds that young usually haven't had a chance to pick up worms. Did she feel skinny? Keep in mind that young birds are thinner than you think they should be- don't judge weight based on grocery store chicken!

Her eye looks healthy to me so no worries there.

yes it is just one side. I don't know if there is a smell because my sense of smell sucks. It has been wet for a few days now so she couldn't have just bumped into waterer. I dosed with Wazine because several people that breed Buff Orpingtons on this website told the newbies-myself included- on the Buff Orpington thread that deworming at 2, 4, 6 and 8 weeks is a good idea and 4 times yearly after that. This was my first time doing it and I followed the instructions to a T.

Wow. I personally wouldn't recommend worming that often- it's really hard on their systems, not to mention that once they start laying, that's a lot of eggs that have to be thrown away. I'd suggest doing a bit more research before you decide to worm 4x a year.

Did you figure out why her feathers were wet?

Wow. I personally wouldn't recommend worming that often- it's really hard on their systems, not to mention that once they start laying, that's a lot of eggs that have to be thrown away. I'd suggest doing a bit more research before you decide to worm 4x a year.

Did you figure out why her feathers were wet?

Yeah I decided maybe once or twice a year is enough. I never found out what the problem was but it is gone so I am relieved. I started to suspect an oil issue but couldn't tell for sure. She/he is super healthy so yay! I had a silkie baby that looked awful and I thought they might be related issuesw. I gave it a bath and problem solved so I guess they weren't.

Back
Top Bottom