I appreciate the help! My Red Reproduction Pullet is acting weird.

Cynthia 085

Songster
7 Years
May 4, 2014
CO
Hello

She started laying eggs. Well she laid one egg. She started laying 4 weeks early and as someone has told me that is of no surprise for a Red Reproduction pullet.

We have offered her some good calcium so she can have good eggs (it is container filled with calcium inside the chicken coop; she also has another one outside of the chicken coop).

However, her behavior is weird or weird for me, but maybe it is a common thing for chickens who have only started laying.

She goes inside the chicken coop. Stays there a while. She goes inside the nesting boxes and is noisy in there.

Then she comes right out. Then she does this again and again through the day; several times in fact.

Is my chicken acting normal? Is her behavior this way because she is starting to lay?

Thank you very much. This is my first time owning any chickens.
Cynthia

Last edited:
Well, I know chickens mess around in the nesting boxes before they start to lay. Where did she lay her first egg? What size was it?

Her first egg was in the yard.
Opened probably by the other hens.
Not sure why she did not lay the egg inside the coop?

:(

Last edited:
Hmm, I think your hen is fine. I think she is just trying to find the right place to lay her egg, so other hens won't get to it. As far as all of the noise she is making, chickens like to anounce when they try to lay eggs. It's called the egg song. Keep offering her calcium and such and I think she will be just fine.

Thank you!

I am glad it is something normal!

Thanks again. Just checking. She is very nice. She lets me pick her right up. I really like this chicken.

Cynthia

Back
Top Bottom