I BEG you! Please help me!

Gapeworm are rare in chickens, most likely you're dealing with a respiratory disease. Covey Rise Plantation is the expert when it comes to gapeworms, here's a link. Read posts #13 & #14:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/602699/worming-chickens/10#post_7931055
You make a good point... I've had hundreds of chickens and I have never suspected gapeworms, but I have had issues bacterial, fungal and respiratory diseases.

I have to call the pathologist today, so I'm going to ask him about gapeworms, just for grins.
big_smile.png

Quote:
Gapeworm are rare in chickens, most likely you're dealing with a respiratory disease. Covey Rise Plantation is the expert when it comes to gapeworms, here's a link. Read posts #13 & #14:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/602699/worming-chickens/10#post_7931055
thank you, dawg53, it think you might be right
If you want to give the maximum recommended dose, you need to know exactly how much she weighs. If she does weigh 5 pounds, she should get 1.1cc's of Safeguard. Can you take a picture of the inside of her mouth and post it?
I gave her 1/2 cc, so I will again today another 1/2 cc TY.... i will try to get a picture when I get home..probably should have done it sooner
Can you take her to a vet? If it's not gapeworms, then it's most likely a fungal or bacterial infection.
none of the vets around me care for fowl.....but I will try again
You make a good point... I've had hundreds of chickens and I have never suspected gapeworms, but I have had issues bacterial, fungal and respiratory diseases.

I have to call the pathologist today, so I'm going to ask him about gapeworms, just for grins.
big_smile.png
let me know what he says... ty
If it was a respitory issue wouldn't it have more symptoms then it's having? Like sneezing, mucus from the nose, runny eyes? Something?
No sneezing, no mucous except for a small amount in her mouth yesterday, no runny eyes

This all started Saturday when I picked her up b/c she was shivering and shaking her head... she had mites and lice which I treated with poultry dust... She also had a "scabby" ear.... I cleaned it and looked at it and it seemed to be just that... a scab. Now her symptoms, I think, have to deal with something in relation to the ear because her throat is more swollen/enlarged on that same side....

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom