I believe we've got lice...DE or Sevin?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by McGoo, Mar 10, 2009.

1. McGoo

McGoo Songster

I took off my little chicken's apron and noticed tiny little white bunches on the underside. Easy to see with the dark fabric. [​IMG] I suspect little lice eggs? Sound right? [​IMG]

I know I have to treat all... so the question is sevin or DE. I've sprinkled DE throughout the coop all winter, but not on the chickens. Should I use the DE first and see or at this point should I use the Sevin now and in two week and then follow up with DE in the future?

What's been your experience? Thanks

2. keystonebantams

keystonebantams In the Brooder

Mar 4, 2008
    I would recommend Adam's Flea and Tick spray. 2 pumps on the butt, back and under each wing. you should also change the bedding and cover the coop floor with sevin dust paying special attention to the corners and cracks. This traement will not only kill the bugs but it will prevent reinfestation, repeat this treatment every 2 months.

3. JeninMN

JeninMN Songster

Apr 3, 2008
    Sevin...is this the same Sevin that I use for potatoe bugs when we have our garden????? I have that on hand...should I be using this in the coop?

4. Karlachix

Karlachix Songster

Apr 21, 2008
    NorthEast
    My head itches all of sudden. I wonder why? [​IMG]

5. McGoo

McGoo Songster

Isn't sevin dangerous for the chickens? [​IMG] I've got DE all over the coop. I'll clean it all out and put down the sevin... and continue using the DE.

6. I let mine dust in a pan of wood ashes.

7. keystonebantams

Mar 4, 2008
    yes it is the same stuff you use on the potatoes. Use 5% sevin dust. No it is not dangerous for the chickens. just make sure you don't get it in the chicken's eyes and keep them out of the coop till it settles.

8. McGoo

McGoo Songster

Does the '5%' sevin dust mean that I have to reduce it, or does it come with the name '5% sevin'
    Thanks... just want to be sure..

9. keystonebantams

Mar 4, 2008
    it comes with 5% on the label right beside the word SEVIN.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by