I bit the bullet and bought chicks

I took these pictures last night of the itty bitty peep peeps

We got the raised garden bed fenced in with 1/2" galvanized hardware cloth, and a little br pullet and a white leghorn got out over the fence. I was able to throw the white one over the fence to safety, but alas the br fell prey to my greyhound Sagan. I cried.

So it looks like we're going to practice caponizing on her, so she's in the freezer until the equipment gets in for me to try my hand on this dead chicken. Darn stupid dog! I'm mad at myself for not locking them in the house until we had a better door put up in the new expanded run.

At least it's not going to waste. I think I may make chicken stock from her? She was about 7-8 weeks old.

Last edited:
Very sorry to hear about your loss...I had a similar thing happen...my wolf is out with me every day while I care for the chickens...one day I'd let out of the pen a young cockeral I'd planned on using him as a breeding cock one day or selling him for breeding...not thinking about this the freerange meatie roos attacked this cockeral...that excited my wolf who has these meaties sharing a water bucket or a place in the shade like old pals...well either the wolf thought the meaties were his pack and was helping the pack? Or who knows...he snatched up that frantic cockeral with one bite he'd already killed it...I got out of the pen just in time to see the look of shame on his face for what he'd done...he went to the ground half on his side with the dying bird beside him...deep puncture wounds through his back...we had chicken curry for dinner...my husband wanting more..

My wolf hates to be chastised...said he was sorry for a week!
Your birds are looking good Double Kindness.

We got the raised garden bed fenced in with 1/2" galvanized hardware cloth, and a little br pullet and a white leghorn got out over the fence. I was able to throw the white one over the fence to safety, but alas the br fell prey to my greyhound Sagan. I cried.

So it looks like we're going to practice caponizing on her, so she's in the freezer until the equipment gets in for me to try my hand on this dead chicken. Darn stupid dog! I'm mad at myself for not locking them in the house until we had a better door put up in the new expanded run.

At least it's not going to waste. I think I may make chicken stock from her? She was about 7-8 weeks old.

Don't worry, she won't go to waste. This is a good size to practice on. I lost one of mine at the same age and totally forgot and disposed of her. So mad at myself. I needed the practice.
he.gif

Is it alright she's in the freezer wrapped in plastic and paper bags feathers and all?

There's also a slw that walks funny, she's in the chicken er in the barn since Thursday. Idk if I should practice on her too, she's incredibly small/behind the rest of her littermates.

Meat rabbits are starting to appeal to me. I'm looking for a pregnant new zealand white meat rabbit atm.

I took pictures today of the itty bitty peep peeps that aren't so itty bitty anymore but can't seem to be able to upload them atm.

I got 2 meat does this past week. 1 is a purebreed new zealand white 2.5 months old and the other is a new zealand white x silver fox that's 5 months old.

6 4-5 week old chicks in the barn brooder box. 12 white bresse chicks otw on Monday. Possibly more chicks but cornish x meaties in the next few days if possible, and 6 more ayam cemani chicks when they hatch very soon out of 20 my friend is hatching locally.

I might add 1 more rabbit to my rabbit herd. Muscovy ducks, quail, marans, svart honas, black ameracuna are planned for the spring along with 3-5 beehives.

We're expanding the garden growth in the spring. Spraying bokashi everywhere especially after processing day. Then a week or so later if the new coop and run aren't put up we'll move the ayam cemani and white bresse into the current dp meatie coop/run.

I'm taking my time with planning my next coop to house 30 chickens with 3-4 brooder boxes under the nesting boxes to house my different roosters used for breeding/actual brooder boxes.

As in the spring I was thinking of putting muscovy ducks where the meaties are currently with quail pens higher up on the side of that building (barn). Or by the rabbits, their wire cage is 4' off the ground along the fence line by the big barn doors. It's all a work in progress as I learn what I'm doing, but a lot has been done since June when I began this adventure.

Let's see if I can post pictures today

They are getting much bigger, but slower than I had hoped on 26% protein gamebird feed that I ferment.

I feed them 2-3 times a day, their appetite over the last few days has grown considerably.

It looks like another 8 weeks until freezer camp for these guys. What does everyone else think?

Yesterday's antics were hilarious when my laying flock was let out to free range, Brazen got into it with both Daisy and Nell.

This morning I let everyone out of the itty bitty peep peeps coop and SURPRISE! 3 of the roos began crowing this morning! Oh no!!

Yesterday's antics were hilarious when my laying flock was let out to free range, Brazen got into it with both Daisy and Nell.

This morning I let everyone out of the itty bitty peep peeps coop and SURPRISE! 3 of the roos began crowing this morning! Oh no!!

It doesn't seem to be possible does it? Mine started at 8 wks. I never heard of this early before. I just bought a 5-6 mo cockerel. Very good breed that is NOT hatchery. One cockerel that acts like a teenager. Not a peep. He is a White Plymouth Rock that is XW brand and stunning. Huge already. I have 3 pullets to go along with him as well as a Blosl pullet. Their little combs are still pink and not even thinking about laying yet. But it will be worth the wait. I have 6 Golden Comets and 4 hatchery White Plymouth Rocks and they are considerably smaller even though they are a few weeks older. All the Comets are laying and a couple of the rocks. I'll be sell these10 and 5 of my little 2-3 mo old blue egg layers as soon as I can. I need to free up space for the Muscovies. I may have to wait until the spring for them. The ten cockerels Blue egg gene, I'm going to process and practice caponizing. Not a lot of meat but the experience.
wee.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom