I bought a horrible coop..what can I do?

gretchen22

In the Brooder
Sep 15, 2017
I bought a very flimsy coop from a horrible company. I should have known better. Returning it would be a headache. I'm trying to get ready for winter. Any advice on how to insulate and reinforce the coop a little better?

Without seeing a picture of it or knowing the climate you live in it would be hard to give you good advice....

So:
How many chickens do you have?
What is your climate like?
What are the demensions of your coop?

If you are in a very very cold climate like Alaska or Nebraska.... insulation can be used but only carefully. As long as the coop has good ventilation and good protection against Rain and snow Chickens can pretty much handle the temperatures mother nature can dish out.

deb

what specifically are you worried about?

you could reinforce all corners (also where the roof attaches) with metal brackets or 2x4s

you can add extra/more secure latches to help against predators

you can build a secure run that goes entirely around the coop if it is one with an attached wire run that is flimsy so you have your cheap coop within a secure run

you can repaint it for added weatherproofing

you can add a nest box if needed

you can put a different roost in it or re-position the roosts that are in it already

I don't think it has to be a total loss, so much as a starting point. Give us pictures and list your concerns, there are lots of knowledgeable and handy people on here who can give you input!

if it's easy to pull it apart down to the frame, I'd do that, wrap the whole thing in hardware cloth and then put all the pretty crap back on, that will show them damn coons! they'll huff and they'll puff... and nothing will happen, LOL! a friend got a cheapo one from costco and we built a run out of 4x4's, hardware clothed the run, dough a hole and placed it down about 6" and filled it in and put the cheap on on top, bolted it down and it's been great! sometimes a cheap coop is good for a nice finished look if you are willing to add things like metal brackets and such.

I also bought a horrible coop but it turned out ok after I painted it with many layers of paint and replaced all the locks with the ones that racoons can't open. I ended up putting all my $ in creating a secure run that was made out of a dog kennel and covered with hardware cloth and even the top is covered. I don't even lock the coop since the run is so secure now.

We bought a couple of coops from TSC that aren't BAD.... but we know we'll not get more than 2-4 years use out of them. I believe, over autumn and winter, and possibly spring, we plan to build a bigger coop to put ALL of both of our current flocks in (we have 2 separate flocks, 13 in total, that use 2 separate coops), and then use the bigger coop for roos and the smaller coop as a Chicken Hospital.

If you can get cheap plywood, you can always cut to fit and nail into the side panels, just as a quick fix.

Hi...

I have a cheap house that I had purchased so I know why you mean about cheap. I live in MI so we have some harsh winters here and here's what I did to keep my kids warm and still use their house.

I purchased a 10x10 dog kennel and my duck and chicken houses both fit nicely in there and they still have plenty of room to roam and play. The kennel is just a chain link version and I did add on a roof frame. The kennel and roof frame have been the best investment and proved to be perfect.

2016 was the first winter I went thru with my kids so I was very nervous...but they all survived and did great. I did wrap the kennel with heavy duty tarps and used zip ties in a lot of areas to secure the tarps to the walls and roof frame. I also used bungle cords in other areas...like the door...so I could easily give more or less air flow depending on sunnier/colder days. I used bedding on the floors and in their actual coops/house for warmth for when they were out playing in the kennel or sleeping in their houses. I also used heated watered/buckets.

The kennel is great year round. In the summer I only have a roof tarp to keep rain off their houses and it provides shade. The free range all day around my property then at night they just go inside and they are safe and secure and they can sleep with their house doors open so they are nice and cool in the summer months and not locked up in their coop/house.

This winter I'm going to pay a bit more and get clear vinyl tarps for the roof so it will allow natural sunlight and help give off some natural warmth.

So...long and short...if you can invest in a good size kennel then you can put the house, cheap or not, in the kennel and your kids will be fine...just weatherproof the outside of the kennel, ensure warm floor and bedding along with dry food and unfrozen water, and they will be just fine.

Couple notes about the kennel...shop around online and locally....even used...you can get kennels for decent prices...definitely spend a few extra bucks and get kennel anchors to drive into the ground. I learned that lesson the hard way when just one good wind picked it up and tossed it about 15 feet.

Without seeing a picture of it or knowing the climate you live in it would be hard to give you good advice....

So:
How many chickens do you have?
What is your climate like?
What are the demensions of your coop?

If you are in a very very cold climate like Alaska or Nebraska.... insulation can be used but only carefully. As long as the coop has good ventilation and good protection against Rain and snow Chickens can pretty much handle the temperatures mother nature can dish out.

deb
I have 4 chickens. I live in the mid west. It will start getting cold in November. I bought this coop because it had a larger run. The run is approx 8 feet long. My girls have grown out of their current coop. I also need more ventilation.

Back
Top Bottom