I bought some brahma chicks at TSC, any info i should know?

They are a super friendly breed.
smile.png

I am getting some Buff Brahma chicks soon and can't wait! I want to see their feathery feet! Enjoy!

Hmmm, I just noticed this was in the meat birds section. Are you raising them for meat?

Last edited:
I have 6 meaties and 3 Brahmas, I was planning on keepin the Brahmas for eggs. I did read that they are dual purpose birds, mainly bought them cause they handle the weather. I live in NW PA and it gets hot in the summer and cold in the winter. Not sure if I will be able to use them as meat birds, didnt really know what to expect?

Brahmas are slow to mature birds. Takes a good long while to get enough meat on them to make them worth a meal, IMO.

Brahmas were my first flock and they will always be my favorite. Being that mine are hatchery quality - yours are too, if they came from TSC - they shouldn't be too awful late to start laying, but it will take a good year or more for them to reach their full sized splendor. My brahma roo was 18+ months old before he ever stopped growing.

Quote:
In the darks you can tell fairly early, since the males feather out very differently from the females, but in the lights and buffs, you have to wait at least 6 to 8 weeks or so.

I never had any egg layers, what kind of living quaters to they require. Right now they are with my meaties, when should I seperate the two of them?

Back
Top Bottom