I bought some Cayuga's in October...still no eggs

YakLady

Songster
10 Years
Jul 8, 2009
Detroit area
Hi, there...

I bought a drake and two ducks back in October, and they still have not laid any eggs. Is this normal? I bought several Pekins right around the same time, and they lay almost every day for me. I'm assuming the eggs are from the Pekins anyways, because they are white. I was told that when my Cayuga's lay, the eggs will be green. Should I be concerned, or is it typical for Cayuga's not to lay during the Winter?

Thanks for the help!

-Cayce

Kool Aid Queen

Chirping
9 Years
Feb 19, 2010
Gone crazy
ok ??? how many will they lay at a time???
i think over the last 5 days she has laid 3 eggs they are a kinda green color real light
and are bigger than the other chicken eggs i have .. not by a lot but deffinatly bigger
and we found all 3 on the floor not in nests
will she go broody on me like a chicken and all of a sudden just sit on a bunch of eggs or mabey even 1 or 2 eggs

very much a newbie here so any help would be great

i can post pics if that helps.... of the eggs

Friend2Fowl

Songster
9 Years
Feb 28, 2010
Just give them some time, it's probably too cold with this crazy weather. My ducks started laying in February last year, but I still don't have any eggs yet so far this year. It's just too cold. Though I have seen mine breeding some finally, so they should start laying anytime, I hope
smile.png

@ Koolaid Queen: When she starts laying well, she should lay about 1 egg a day, or 5-6 in a 7-day period. Cayugas eggs are supposed to be tinted at least, but good quality cayugas will lay black eggs. And she most likely won't use a nest, unless you have one on the floor...then she might use it.

Last edited:

YakLady

Songster
10 Years
Jul 8, 2009
Detroit area
Ok, thanks all. I've got Spring Fever. LOL! Can't wait to hatch me some Cayuga eggs. They've gotta lay them for me first, though.
roll.png

I went out this morning to discover a brand new baby lamb had just been born. Yay! She's too cute!

Top Bottom