I broke down and just gave in...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ambrosia, Nov 18, 2011.

1. ambrosia

ambrosia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2011
    My girls seem to be doing just fine... but the other night it got down to -1 and that was too stressful for me. So....I put in a heat lamp, but used a 100 watt bulb instead of a true heat lamp bulb. The girls had a couple little spots of purple on their combs, but didn't seem stressed by the weather. I however am feeling like they deserve to stay warm...lol

Am I spoiling them? It can't be good for them to have their poo frozen in the morning! I know the forum ppl say they don't NEED heat, but jeepers... they need to stay warm, right?

Any thoughts??? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

It's good that you are watching your chickens and responding accordingly.
    Only you know your chickens and set-up.
    Not everyone on BYC is anti-heat, I don't think there is much if any problem with supplying a little extra heat. I do and have for many years, and have never had any of the problems attributed to winter care.

Good luck,

Imp

3. kinsey228

kinsey228 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Chesterville, Maine
    Mine have a heat lamp [​IMG]

4. ambrosia

Oct 21, 2011
    Thank you for the input! Hubby has been so good to help me in all of this... and I know that even if I were able to withstand those temps, I wouldn't but unhappy with a little extra heat!!! I just went back to the coop, and the girls are happily "heat bathing"...

Maybe this extra light will kick start my RIR into finally giving me some eggs too [​IMG]

5. SarniaTricia

SarniaTricia Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm worried about the winter as well...
    So far we havn't had it bad in SW Ontario, but.... they are usually up early and I can hear them starting thier day. but this morning was especially frosty & quiet.
    I think this weekend I'm rigging a light bulb in the chicken house (coop/covered run has lights) for that little bit of heat it puts out.
    I'll keep and eye on the girls like you did. This way if they seem to be suffering; I'll pop in a bulb and they'll get the extra heat.

6. un-named

un-named Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    On very cold days I put on one heat lamp in the corner of my shed; it is up to the birds if they want it or not.

7. ambrosia

Oct 21, 2011
    Quote:Yes...! Its too cute to watch them play and 'talk' while enjoying their new found heat oasis... [​IMG]

8. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    I believe the people that caution against heat do so because of the fire risk. I know last winter there were quite a few threads describing coop fires and burned birds. In most cases chickens adapt well to the cold so it isn't worth the risk of having a fire. You will have to assess the situation where you are and make the decision. Good luck. [​IMG]

9. ambrosia

Oct 21, 2011
    BT... that was my biggest worry! Hubby used insulated clips for all the cords and it is run along the ceiling and wall so nowhere are the electrical components touching my shavings. The only fire potential I saw was where the two cords connect, and I just made sure it was located on concrete away from my coop. Hopefully this eliminates any risk and keeps my girls laying throughout the winter -- the local elevator would be unhappy if I could no longer bring them eggs [​IMG]

10. wvchickenhouse

wvchickenhouse Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2011
    Pax, WV
    I have a heat lamp in the corner and they come and go as they please.... you can tell what your girls need and what they like.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by