I built a warming cave

SmallCityChicken

Chirping
Sep 28, 2019
Southern Oregon
I forget who posted the thread I saw this on (thank you for the idea btw) but I built one of those warning hen/cave things. They don't quite know what to think of it yet but at least I won't have to feel bad that they never get darkness with the heat lamp.

20191001_221514.jpg
20191001_221521.jpg
20191001_222805.jpg

ETA: I went to the feed store today, they had cornish hens & I didn't buy any, so I'm kind of proud of that

Last edited:
I forget who posted the thread I saw this on (thank you for the idea btw) but I built one of those warning hen/cave things. They don't quite know what to think of it yet but at least I won't have to feel bad that they never get darkness with the heat lamp.

View attachment 1923255
View attachment 1923256
View attachment 1923257

ETA: I went to the feed store today, they had cornish hens & I didn't buy any, so I'm kind of proud of that

That's always a good thing, corinsh hens will eat ya outta house and home and are short lived lol

View attachment 1923255
View attachment 1923256
View attachment 1923257

Nice job!! Welcome to the world of MHP! (momma heating pad)

Thank you!
They all cuddle up inside & come out to play, then head right back in (its chilly this morning). But I have one who insists on standing on top of it & yelling loudly? It is also attempting to fly out of the brooder :idunno

Yes, there's always one! I usually just go in and put that chick back underneath, especially if it's on the chilly side. Eventually more will start jumping up there (suggest a paper towel or something easy to clean on top - that will get messy) and they'll stop feeling alone in the world, then just about everyone will discover the roof of their building. Alternately, if you can block access to the top somehow- a piece of cardboard cut to fit over the arc- something like that, you can minimize the cheeeeep alarm. =)

Edited to add : Also cover the brooder! It doesn't take long before they can pop themselves right over it. Something breathable like a screen - I've got those wire shelf things you find in closets with the narrow bars that I put over my brooder.

I’m sold on the Mama Heating Pad. Seems like a heat lamp would be much more trouble.

My brooder was made with an old dog fence. The openings were about 1 1/2 inches wide, and my little troublemaker disappeared one day. Fortunately, I could follow the poop trail up the stairs and found her on the windowsill in an upstairs room! We didn’t realize she could jump/fly that high!

She is a black Australorp, and is the biggest of my pullets now, and likely the first to lay en egg.

Yes, there's always one! I usually just go in and put that chick back underneath, especially if it's on the chilly side. Eventually more will start jumping up there (suggest a paper towel or something easy to clean on top - that will get messy) and they'll stop feeling alone in the world, then just about everyone will discover the roof of their building. Alternately, if you can block access to the top somehow- a piece of cardboard cut to fit over the arc- something like that, you can minimize the cheeeeep alarm. =)

Edited to add : Also cover the brooder! It doesn't take long before they can pop themselves right over it. Something breathable like a screen - I've got those wire shelf things you find in closets with the narrow bars that I put over my brooder.
I built my warmer using this kitchen shelf lol
20191002_133425.jpg
But I honestly didn't think they would start trying to fly so soon, I need to run out & pick up a cover. I also want to try to press'n'seal trick I saw in Blooie's thread, they love hanging out on top of the cave.

Back
Top Bottom