I built my coop for FREE

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by abercrombie575, Aug 24, 2010.

1. abercrombie575

abercrombie575 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2010
    Georgia
    I really love looking at all of the coops that are on here. I wish that I had the money to invest into my coop that I have seen others invest into theirs. I built my coop for FREE using only things that we had around the house, found or snagged from a relatives house. I don't think it is going to win any contest but it serves its purpose. At least I have not heard the chickens complaining.
    I guess my question is this... how much did you spend on your coop? Do you think that you can spend so much on the coop and improvments that it ends up costing you money instead of saving money? Other than the fact that you must build something that is safe for your birds is all the other really necessary?
    [​IMG]

2. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Nice job! [​IMG] Looking at your picture, my only concern is what is orange colored mesh covering the area to the right? Is it raccoon, oppossum and dog proof? I really do think that it's fantastic that you built it out of free stuff. I would have too given more time and a different situation. Anyway, for us it's not so much about saving money as they are pets for the kid and an egg source that I control. The kid loves them, and it's a great way for kids in urban settings to get involved with 4-H (which I'm still hopeful for [​IMG]). I don't know if you can put a price on a kid's involvement in that. I don't know if my hens will ever pay off their coop and run. But I built the coop and run well so I shouldn't suffer bird losses and maybe the next generation will pay it off. You've got me thinking, I should work that out to figure out how long it will take to pay it off. One thing I'm sure of, your birds will love your coop. [​IMG]

3. abercrombie575

abercrombie575 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2010
    Georgia
    I should have also said that I built this coop in May of 2009 to date I have only had the one preditor in picture below... not a happy day! It has only happened once and believe me when I tell you that that snake will NOT be coming back!

[​IMG]

4. carrlr

carrlr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    Nice job. I agree, if that's orange construction netting, it won't keep out most predators. I built mine mostly with what I had around, except for the hardware cloth and run fencing. Will it ever pay for itself, i doubt it. But, the joy it's given my grand-daughter and her "Peeps" is priceless.

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Nice! You can't beat free!

As far as how much I've spent: I'm not even keeping track. Wayyyy too much. But DH likes things "built to last", so it will be here for a long, long time. We won't have to build them again.

6. En Plein Air Farms

En Plein Air Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Our house/coop was free because my FIL built it on skids many years ago so it could move with them. So now it's had 4 home places [​IMG]
    Our expense was purchasing chain link four part dog kennel fencing for their play area, 10'X10', 6'tall with a door. It was about 350.00 I think.
    We've got coons, bobcat, coyotes, the girls need a safe refuge and sanctuary.

You did a beautiful job with your setup, thumbs up!

7. apryl

apryl Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2010
    Southern Kentucky
    We spent about $150 to build our coop, however we need to expand, I have more ideas that need to be used and have added more chickens LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by