I built this in one day. :)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by lovinlife, Jul 13, 2011.

1. lovinlife

lovinlife Chillin' With My Peeps

I turned this...
    [​IMG]

...into this...
    [​IMG]

...added wire and chickens...
    [​IMG]

it's a great little pen: 8'x10'x50"high
    [​IMG]

And I have blisters. [​IMG]
    Note: we live in Texas where it's over 100 daily. They need shade and water and they're happy. I have a tarp over part of it in case the severe drought ends any time this century and we get rain. Otherwise, it's underneath a very large Post Oak tree and is always shaded. There are two other runs adjacent to the one I built. They're both 4'x8'. This is my young chicken compound (except for the two mature bantam cochins in the new pen). I'm very happy with the new pen. [​IMG]

2. chickenbythesea

chickenbythesea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Nova Scotia
    looks fab! you had a VERY busy day [​IMG]

3. lovinlife

lovinlife Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks! I did this on Sunday. Has been working great!

4. Haunted Chicken

Haunted Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Oregon
    I love this! I can't wait to get my run up so I can let mine run around like that. Really looks great [​IMG]

5. ContessaKris

ContessaKris Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Grandview (SKC), MO
    Ohhh, I love this! And it looks like about how much wood I have right now! lol I'm curious, where is the coop they sleep/roost/lay in? Maybe I'm just not seeing it?

6. Horsefly

Horsefly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2010
    Louisiana
    Looks great! What kind of latch did you use on the door and how are the corners supported so it doesn't wobble? Thanks

7. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Great job!! [​IMG]

8. FuzzyButtsFarm

FuzzyButtsFarm Rest in Peace 1950-2013

Don't you just love the LG auto-waters. Just love you set up. Good job. [​IMG]

9. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Great job!!!
    I love that you did it in one day! I can't stay outside long enough to do anything like that right now.
    I went on CL and bought a dog kennel. Yes, I cheated.

10. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:She and you must have good luck with the LG waterers, there are two of them. I ordered mine and it overflowed on the lightest setting possible. I fought with Miller Mfg. for a month or so to no avail. Finally spent another $20. on parts to rectify the problem. In the mean time I built my own. I use it outside in the run and the LG inside.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by