I can I prevent so much food waste?

welcome-byc.gif

With 4 birds @ 13-14 weeks, I am still just using my original metal mason-jar chick feeder, which has 8 openings. I am now using a larger jar from fruit juice instead of a mason jar. I put the base inside a disposable aluminum pie plate (from pre-made pie / pie crusts) and this catches the feed that they bill out. They do also eat out of the pie plate. It's not perfect, but it cuts down waste maybe 50%. I don't really have any plans to get them a bigger feeder; this seems like it will work fine.

Someone wrote: "my solution was to use 3 inch pvc pipe. two straight sections joined together to form an L by a third piece that can slip off. it has a cap on top. 4 holes were drilled in the bottom straight section about golf ball sized so the chickens could stick their heads in it. "

I like this idea -- I made a feeder from a 64-oz plastic juice jar and a plastic planter saucer, but my girls throw the feed out of the saucer onto the ground and waste a lot! Could I make this PVC feeder in a T shape and fasten a wire handle to the top so it could hang? I want a hanging feeder to help prevent the mice from raiding it. Although I dont know how much that helps -- I just moved a nest box last week and found a mouse nest underneath it! Yuk!!

Hi and Wecome!

I use a 7lb baby pig feeder as well. Does yours have the adjustable slide plate in it?

In mine I can adjust how tall the opening is where the food slides through from the hopper portion to the tray area. When I had the height too high, the chickens did just as you described......scraping and throwing food out using their beaks. I had to adjust it a few times, but now it's at just the right width that they peck and dispense just enough food so there's about 1 cm of food in the bottom tray area at all times.

I have not had any more spillage since fine tuning the spacing.

LOL Chickens are sooo messy! When I feed mine oatmeal while they are roosting, they fling it all over me. When they are done about half of the bowl is all over me.
lol.png

In addition to the good suggestions on feeders here -- don't pick up after them.

Let the feeder go empty, and they WILL eat what they've billed onto the floor.

My girls are in the Clean Plate Club, because about once a week I let the feeder stand empty for several hours. They have access to acres of pasture, so they will not starve.

Since I use a deep litter system, I'm not "cleaning out" the coop and discarding their food. I seldom find any feed in the litter when I rake.

If the feed tray fills up with fines -- which are hard for the chickens to pick up -- I just dump 'em in a dog bowl, add water, and give them a wet mash. They act like it's this great treat I'm giving them, and polish it off in minutes.

Back
Top Bottom