I can see the egg, what do I do??? (Blocked vent)

She doesn’t seem to be in too much pain. She’s preening herself and acting perky

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    640.2 KB · Views: 14
Give her some calcium. Calcium citrate +D, calcium gluconate, or even a tums. The calcium gluconate or calcium citrate will work faster, so those are better if you've got them. You've already done the soak, so now I would lube up her vent and around the egg where you can feel it with some Ky jelly preferably, then put her in a warm, dark, quiet room so she will relax. The calcium will help with contractions, the lube will hopefully help it pass. Last one I had to do this with finally passed it in the middle of the night.

Give her some calcium. Calcium citrate +D, calcium gluconate, or even a tums. The calcium gluconate or calcium citrate will work faster, so those are better if you've got them. You've already done the soak, so now I would lube up her vent and around the egg where you can feel it with some Ky jelly preferably, then put her in a warm, dark, quiet room so she will relax. The calcium will help with contractions, the lube will hopefully help it pass. Last one I had to do this with finally passed it in the middle of the night.
Ok, I’ll do that thank you!!!

When an egg is stuck just inside the gate like this, it's most critical to get the egg out in the first 24 hours or death is a very real risk.

Calcium citrate works the quickest. But any form of calcium you have on hand is better than nothing. Do as @coach723 says. Keep the vent lubricated. If you can move her into the bathroom and make a lot of steam, that will both warm her and provide humidity to help get the egg out.

And be sure she has cool water to drink.

Back
Top Bottom