I can see the egg, what do I do??? (Blocked vent)

When an egg is stuck just inside the gate like this, it's most critical to get the egg out in the first 24 hours or death is a very real risk.

Calcium citrate works the quickest. But any form of calcium you have on hand is better than nothing. Do as @coach723 says. Keep the vent lubricated. If you can move her into the bathroom and make a lot of steam, that will both warm her and provide humidity to help get the egg out.

And be sure she has cool water to drink.
Thank you for your help!
Yes, have her in bathroom now, just finished giving her epsom salt bath.

My 1 year old leghorn has had a blocked vent for some time now.
The white stuff is really pasty, I tried wiping it off her feathers and it won’t come off
Good instructions from everyone.
My question is you mentioned she's had a blocked vent for "some time". How long has it been?

Hopefully she will pass whatever you are seeing. Once that's done, observe to see if that white pasty material continues to leak, whether or not it has an odor like yeast and see that her crop is emptying overnight (might be a good idea to smell her breath to see if it's yeasty/sour as well.

The egg has still not passed. :(
She’s not in any pain, she’s eating and drinking. I’m not sure what else to do.
Thank you for asking.

I had a hen with a similar issue. I put on a glove and put water soluble lubricant in her vent and fed her tums. It took a while, but she was able to pass a huuuge egg (poor Jessamine). But I found that a lot of the problem were the urates. Her vent gleet was hard to treat, but as soon as I got that egg out, I made sure to get after that gleet with yeast infection meds.

Back
Top Bottom