I can tell you for sure now!

I believe that is right, Tala, and that's what I do as well - Flock Raiser after starter and continuing, with oyster shell on the side.

They also get backyard lawn grass and such, as well as some kitchen scraps, a little scratch, and fresh veggies from the garden.

If a laying hen's requirement is a less-than-20% protein diet, she can at least start off with a 20% protein ration and have some of these other foods.

Steve

Flock Raiser does come in pellets in some areas. I can get only FR pellets at the feed store and only crumbles at TSC. Of course I swore off the Purina plant stuff, so I don't need it. Ask around for pellets.

Quote:
Flock raiser has 20 something percent protein, where "Layena" has higher levels of calcium. If your hens are still young and not laying...do not give them layena...you will cause their kidneys to shut down and they will die....
sad.png

Stick to the start and grow for the new chicks. Don't forget to add a dish of chick grit.
smile.png

My birds have never been on Layena. They loooove Flock Raiser. I give them free choice oyster shell on the side and my eggs are large to x-large (except for my GSH) everyday. I also have ducks, so it is much easier to buy one bag of feed for everyone, rather than 2 different kinds and risk giving the wrong thing to someone (since I have 16 teenagers).

Hey I just found this thread. I too am a long way away from laying but found this most interesting. Good observations you all! I just bought Meat Bird feed (21% protein) and have been mixing it up with Chick Starter because I will be using the roos as meat birds. Their feathers started coming in better (I have some Cochins that were feathering slow) in just the 2 weeks I have been using this. I too wondered why Layer feed is lower in protein. My brood will be 8 weeks at the end of May and is a mix of Bantams and LF of all breeds. I am using Agrimaster since that is all my feed store carries.

Back
Top Bottom