I can trap a squirrel, but not a raccoon

matimeo

Songster
9 Years
Jul 29, 2010
Oregon
As I've been reading the regulations for the State of Oregon, I found it interesting that grey squirrels are considered a predatory animal and can be trapped or killed at any time, but raccoons are a protected species and can only be taken with a license and during open season. Seems to me that raccoons can be just as "predatory" as a squirrel. If I catch any coons going after my chickens though, I might be really tempted to disregard. Do other states ban the taking of raccoons out of season?

I also noted that throughout my reading and on the State's department of wildlife pages the following two items: Don't fee wildlife and don't catch and release! It really irritates me how many of my neighbors feed the dang squirrels (and therefore by default the opossums, raccoons, coyotes, etc.).

Yeah, watch those killer squirrels...lol..
I've never heard of coons being protected, don't know how many states that true in.In any case, my hens would come first...SSS..

Call the OSP and ask about the use of live traps for depredation. The OSP handles widlife issues in Orgeon. In Washington, trapping for furs is one thing. Trapping for depredation is another issue alltogether.

Trapping for depredation is another issue alltogether.

I agree.
I imagine the regulations only meant fur trapping and NOT depredation

And if you don't tell anyone........​

Quote:
Thanks for finding that. I guess it depends on how you interpret that section. Oregon's department of wildlife doesn't define a raccoon a a predatory animal. However, I can't imagine that I could get in trouble for trapping a raccoon that has been lurking around my coop.

Back
Top Bottom