I cannot believe this actually worked for me...

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Blisschick, Nov 4, 2009.

1. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    I think it was last year that Purplechicken tried and experiment with hatching out some silkie eggs that had been refrigerated for awhile to see if it would work. I can't find the post, but I don't think they were in the fridge for very long, but I do remember being surprised that he got so many out of the hatch.

A few days back, a predator got a hold of my precious Miss Cuckoo and Flo, leaving me with only 4 eggs collected in the past 3 days and 4 others that had been in the fridge for about a week, for a total of 7. They had been on the counter in my kitchen a few days before that, so I had my doubts, but decided to try anyway. I let them get to room temp, then stuck all the eggs in.

I checked tonight, and 3 of the 4 fridge eggs are growing!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I'm just hoping they make it, and that at least one of them is a cuckoo! [​IMG]

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yep, refrigerated eggs can hatch, the decrease in viability is a function of temperature, humidity, and time. Congrats on the growing babies!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by