I can't believe how sad I am.......I'm really beside myself.

shannonb

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 27, 2009
Adel, IA
I can't believe it. I specifically asked my husband to watch the dogs when he let them outside yesterday (he dropped me off at work).....the white chicken (Leah - my favorite girl) does not usually stay in the run because the rooster picks on her. I said, if I came home to a dead chicken I was going to be MAD....what did I come home to? A lifeless little white hen. I had no idea how sad I would be over a chicken. She is the only one that came to me when she heard my voice, she would literally run to me and fly up on my shoulder. She knew I would protect her from the rooster and give her treats. Now she's gone - we buried her under a tree in the pasture. All the other ones don't really care if I'm there or not, but she really liked to be with me.....I know that sounds stupid, but it's the way I feel. Is there anyway to find another chicken that tame? She rode on my shoulder while I did stuff around the yard.........

RIP, Leah. (I called her Leah because she had little white tufts that came out of her ears that reminded me of Princess Leah).

I will miss you little hen.

Losing any animal can be devestating. I'm sorry for your loss.
hugs.gif

Forgive your husband though. He's human and made a human error.
smack.gif

I'm so sorry. It is normal to feel the way you do. Just because chickens tend to be nonconventional pets doesn't mean we don't love them less than a dog or cat. Pick one of the others and lavish attention on it and see how it responds.

Im so sorry for your loss, I myself recently experienced the loss of 3 of my silkies to some dogs. Its hard but it will get better with time. As far as another hen as tame as she was, I would suggest maybe trying to raise one from a small chick and handle and love on her everyday, and Im sure she would be pretty tame. Once again Im sorry for your loss.

Shannon

I'm sorry guys, I didn't mean to say that chickens were substandard pets.....I know you love your chickens, I guess I know I do too now. I just didn't think I would get attached to a chicken like this. I'm a farm girl, and know that things die.....chickens I've been brought up to mean "food"....not pets, but these guys especially her mean something other than food. Not only do they lay eggs for me but they are funny to watch too.

I'll attach a picture of her and I.
32544_parrott_chicken.jpg

so sorry for your loss. I had a little white hen just like that. We adored her and she ate my peace lily I sat out on the deck and she died. I was really upset and so was my daughter. They are great pets. I feel also that I will never find another Lady Bird.

My daughter had a little black bantam ameraucana hen that she adored, she rode on her shoulder also, and hopped in her lap. She was passed around at shows, all the kids loved her, when she passed, we were devastated. My daughter now has a couple of chicks that follow her and hop in her lap, but it just isn't the same as midnight. We still miss her . I know how you feel and I"m so sorry about your hen.

I can totally relate, I just lost one of my favorite hens a few weeks back, I still cry for her and so does her buddy snowflake to the point that she sleeps alone now and cries for lacy every night. To me it was like loosing a child, these are my children. No hen could ever take the place of the lost one but there is always room in our hearts to let another one in.
hugs.gif
I am so sorry for your loss, leah was a beautiful girl.

Back
Top Bottom