I can't believe there is a chicken forum. And I'm a member :/

WordBug

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 2, 2011
Hi everyone. Who knew there were so many corners of the world wide web!?

I'm Lynne and I'm a new chick owner. we just got 10 buff orpington pullets. At least I hope they are all girls. I have to say, they are the cutest things ever. They used to live in the rabbit cage, but quickly outgrew that. Right now they live in a dog cage in the garage since it's too cold at night for them outside. (That, and we don't have a home for them built yet.)

Things I love about my chicks:
They can spot a mosquito from 10 feet away and are like the dog in Up with it
They are afraid of my keys even when I set them inside the cage. for chicks that take up so much room, they can all fit in one 6" x 6" corner when they want to.
They are at that awkward preteen stage right now (3 weeks old)
They are practicing flying and are cute, clumsy messes
They "told" me they want places to roost by trying to climb the cage. now they roost like big girls

Some day they will have names. Unfortunately for them, in our family pets are named after food (Bosco the dog, Scooter Pie the rabbit, Cookie the rabbit..) So the list from my kids (10 and 7) looks something like this:
Patty
Miss Stir Fry
Dumpling
Nugget
ipod (my daughter wants an ipod. It was a compromise)

So, I found myself engrossed in reading threads and thrilled there there are others who are loving baby chicks. I look forward to meeting you all and learning about taking care of these girls.

Lynne

Last edited:
94502_254887_2096434568917_1186944659_32619443_5288517_n.jpg

Welcome to a wonderful place to learn and share! One thing I've learned about chicks, the more you handle and love on them as babies, the more friendly and bonded to you they will be as adults. So snuggle those little beauties all you can and keep us updated on their progress.

Quote:
that's why we chose that breed. I heard they are good at being handled (my daughter is 10) and they are good for frigid Indiana winters.

Quote:
They get plenty of love. When we open the door, they all come running. unless I have the keys.

One of them was acting all wierd today- like she was choking. She was clawing at her ears so they were all raw. I took her out and put her in a separate place. You would have thought I was terrorizing her! she was crying and carrying on. I picked her up and she settled down. Sheesh.. like a newborn! I still don't know why she was doing that, though.

And another thing I love about them:
When you pet them under their chins, they fall asleep and just fall forward to the ground. Maybe they are "slain in the spirit" by a good chin petting?

Back
Top Bottom