I Can't Candle! Is it a must??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Hooterville, Aug 6, 2008.

1. Hooterville

Hooterville Chillin' With My Peeps

I am having no luck with this candling business. I've read everything I can and looked at loads of pics but I am not sure of what I'm seeing! [​IMG]

I'm on day 11 and have tried to candle twice. Last night I could see the air sacs clearly, and a blob in the middle and then another "empty" area near the bottom.

I've only done a few--I'm afraid of messing up the stability I've had.

No egg is weeping or stinky, but I do have one that looks like its shell is very pourous-
    My question is-do I HAVE to candle my eggs? Can't I just leave them alone unless they start to look weepy or smell?

I'm afraid that since I'm not sure what I'm looking at I'll make the wrong decision and toss one that may actually be viable.

Please advise!![​IMG]

Thanks~~Becky

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

No, I suppose you don't have to candle, but over time it does get easier. What days are you trying to candle? I usually wait until at least day 7....sometimes day 10. If you start out candling white...or light colored eggs it's easier to learn to see what you're looking for.

oops...I just saw you're on day 11.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2008
  3. Queen Scoot

Queen Scoot Crochet Chieftess

May 27, 2008
    HOOKERVILLE!!!
    Quote:i didnt candle either.....had no luck and didnt know what i was seeing!!! you're not alone.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2008
  4. Frizzledhen

Frizzledhen Spear Gunnin' Coons

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    I figure since my hens don't candle the eggs that they sit, why should I candle the ones I incubate. Candleing will not help any egg to hatch, but, it may harm them especially if one should accidently drop that egg. [​IMG]

5. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    You don't have to candle. [​IMG]

Here's a website if you want to give it another shot.... http://www.minkhollow.ca/HatchingProgram/Candling/Fresh/index.html

Note*
    The pics on that site are duck eggs, but other than the time difference, they are a good representation of what you will see with chicken eggs.

All I look for are veins...... if you have veins, you have chicks! [​IMG]

Here's a drawing I did.... might help.

[​IMG]

This is what I look for after around day 10 or so. It is not an exact representation, but it gives you an idea of what you are looking for. It'll be a small dark blob with veins coming out from it, almost like a set of little wings in shape and placement. Sometimes you will just see the veins growing on the inside of the egg. This is good too. It means that it is growing and blood is moving. When they die, the veins will shrink and disappear and you will be left with a clear egg or one with a blood ring that looks like a clear egg but with a ring (think halo) of blood inside the egg.... often I have noticed that it is stationary inside the egg.

Good luck with your eggs either way you go! [​IMG]

Oh, needed to add, Make sure you don't flip them end over end while handling them. The best way I have found to candle them is to lift them out, keeping them in the same position as they were in the bator, and place the flashlight on the large end. The aircell allows for more light to shine in and illuminate the egg. I wrap my hand around the end of the light to seal off any escaping light. I would practice with some store bought eggs until you find a method that feels comfortable to you [​IMG]

Also, sometimes it takes a few seconds for the developing embryo to float to the topside for viewing.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2008
  6. Hooterville

Hooterville Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks all! [​IMG]

I know I didn't see a ring and there does appear to be something in there--so I'm just going to leave them alone!

If I start smelling something or see something weeping I might change my mind, but right now I'm just going to let them be.

Since this is my very first hatch, I'm so nervous I'm afraid I'll do more harm than good~~maybe down the road I'll turn into an eggspert candler--but I'm certainly not there by a long shot! [​IMG]

Should I be worried about the one that looks "pourous"--like it has a bunch of thinner areas?

If I have a stinky one blow up, DBF will not be happy! [​IMG]

7. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    They say that they can be more prone to bacteria... but plenty of people, including myself have hatched healthy little chicks from them! [​IMG] I'd leave them.

I think you will be fine [​IMG] I stressed big time my first hatch also [​IMG] Think about it....... we've got all of these members, a lot of which have a constant rotation of eggs in the bator, and you only very rarely hear about an exploding egg. If you try candling later on, around day 16 you will know if you have a clear egg because the ones with chicks will be plenty full, and you might even see movement [​IMG]

But, even if you never candle another egg so long as you live, you will most likely be ok if you just pay attention and check for odd odors, seepy eggs, etc.

8. deb1

deb1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    NC
    It took me until day 11 to see something. But then again that is when I invested in a cheap LED light. My regular flashlight just wasn't doing the job.

It took me until day fourteen to be certain what I was seeing. Two of my eggs had veins and movement. Five had what looked like floating yolks.

We took those five outside and cracked them open for an experiment. They were just yolks. Nothing smelly.

So, I guess those five weren't fertilized.

This first hatching experience has been a learning process for us. I couldn't figure the humidity out on day 18th and I think that I have opened my incubator too often. So, although we are on day 21, I have serious doubts about my remaining eggs viability.

that is all right. In a few days-maybe Sunday or Monday_ we will break the eggs open to see the deceased chick. It will be a learning experience and will help me see what I was candeling in the egg.

9. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Quote:Flawless logic! I wish I'd said this.

10. CindyS

CindyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    I usually dont candle all my eggs, unless I smell a bad one(you will smell a bad egg way before it ever thinks about exploding)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by